View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Legacy of Katrina 
All-star
All-star

It has been a tragic scene since our second class as the devastation of the Gulf coast has become clearer to each of us. The death and destruction is no longer a speculation. Now we know how some died. They were alone, abandoned and neglected. They were betrayed by those that they and their families had trusted.
I had a buddy e-mail some photos of the storm as it came ashore and the power and threat within the clouds has left me filled with sense of shock and awe ( sorry to steal that phrase). I need to show you guys these photos.
Now it is curious to hear the politicians discovering poverty. They are all very concerned about the high risk faced by coastel areas.
The new national plan to rebuild for all the urban and rural folks is sure to be an undertaking the likes of which we have never seen before. There will be corruption, anger, scams and the same casulaties will emerge. It will be like a rape victim having to testify in open court and the jury coming back deadlocked with no verdict. There will not be a foreseeable end to the suffering for many of these victims. The cycle of not dining at the big table will continue and they will sadly be victimized again.
But now that people understand that care providers abandoned those in need of full care and the largest hospitals were left to fend for themselves, our reliance upon someone to fix the problem has been shattered. We need to remember that.
Tonight we are all watching the next mega storm, Rita, bear down on the coastal areas. It's winds are at 165 MPH and it is a Cat 5. It is still about three and a half days from landfall. Tomorrow night in class we will be helpless with our concern and dismay regarding the suffering yet to come.
The officials will call for evacuations, federal relief and massive rebuilding for the next 200 mile wide epicenter.
Katrina and the megastorm era will leave a legacy unlike the man made legacy of 9-11. This time we will be just as fearful. Yet we will have no enemy to make polemic speeches about and plan retribution. This is a natural event that was made worse by man's inept planning. It is not easy to feel anger toward God and disgust with ourselves. There is nowhere to vent our anger except toward our national decisions and our lack of wise forthought.

This legacy may become wiser national decisions , better planning and sincere compassion toward those that are the least prepared and the least strong and the least able.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I have a friend that lives in LA. I still do not know what has become of her since the storm. She moved back to the state after a divorce and she might have moved into the NO area. She is a strong christian and a wonderful mother.
Now with Rita, Bearing down on Texas, I also have friends there. A couple that has a baby boy and a loving marriage. They had a big impact in me becoming a Christian just over six years ago. My heart pours out to them and I pray that they will be safe. Their suffering is not in vain for I believe that the Lord does not put us through such things to hinder us but to lift HIM up. There will be lives lost, there will be homes broken, spirits crushed and it will be :cry: hard to deal with.
Life will throw similar trials our way as well, we must look to the scriptures, God's word, to find answers.
Quote:
2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

These words give me strength to go on when dealing with difficulties. Paul was asking the Lord to remove a Thorn from his flesh while we do not know but speculate what this is we are told that he asked three times for it's removal and the Lord denied him everytime.
Why?
So that Christ's power may rest in me.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:06 pm
All-star
All-star

Now, even weeks later than the Katrina tragedies: Isn't it interesting to find it hard some days to find anything about it? Those people are still having problems. I just wish that I could find an answer or solution to keep us from not forgetting so quickly. Have we now become complacent with what seems to be the norm?

Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I recently had an opportunity to talk personally with a couple who lost everything in Katrina including both their livelihoods. I admire their courage. The stories they tell are unbelievable. They are starting over from scratch with nothing but a little cash and a FEMA trailer. Yet still, all they could talk about is how fortunate they are compared to others.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:22 pm
All-star
All-star

It is true that the human spirit will usually prevail over most hardships and tragedy. The human spirit is resilient. Today, I went to a memorial service for a good friend's mother. Even though she died suddenly and there were grief stricken people everywhere, by the time the pastor was through reading a memoir of her life, the mood brightened and people celebrated the life of this great lady.

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]