View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Poverty 
All-star
All-star

During class the other night we were talking a lot about poverty. I think it is important because more than likely it will be present in every job situation we encounter. My best friend just started working in a school system outside of Chapel Hill where all the kids are upper middle class to rich. She said that she cannot stand it because she is in an unrealistic setting. She wanted her first experience to be one where she would encounter poverty, etc., so she could get a feel about education. She said the parents were awful as well-always making demands on the teachers and staff. I was wondering, what type of school would you rather be at?

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:56 am
All-star
All-star

Molly, I would rather be at a school where I made a differences in children's lives. I could not see myself being in a situation like your friend's because 1) I do not take demands easily, especially if I believe otherwise
and 2) there is more to schoolong than what some parents feel is important. I decided to do an enrichment program through the school system where the "top" children were invited. Most of the children were from doctors, lawyers, ect. families and it was unreal to see the parents come in "just to see what I was going to do" with their child. After they figured out that I knew what I was doing, they would come less. I could not stand to have that situation all year long!

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:48 am
All-star
All-star

Diamond I agree with you about being where I see I am making a difference! I have been in schools where poverty is an issue for 14 years. I wouldn't want to teach anywhere else. I feel good about helping these children and helping them get their "needs met".
Linda Younts

Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:28 am
All-star
All-star

I would like to find a school that had some type of happy medium if that exists. As a teacher I want to be in a school that is willing to provide for all children not just those of the wealthy. I do feel that your friend needs to be able to experience other children of other financial classes so that she can be able to relate to them. Too often do we encounter teachers who only teach the wealthy children and are not able to handle children or not want to deal with children in the other classes.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:43 pm
All-star
All-star

As the guidance counselor she won't be doing the Empty Stocking Fund, etc., like my own gudiance counselor. I think she is missing out too because she is in an unrealisitc setting-one that you normally do not have. I think the parents are really giving her a run for her money too. She said she sent home a letter about doing a program in class and several parents wrote back saying they wanted research on the program and its positive outcomes! I couldn't imagine....

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:50 am
All-star
All-star

I'd rather be at a school where I could be of service to the students. For those kids at your best friend's school, that is their "real world". It may take someone like your best friend to relate to those kids on a level in which they see that there is much more to life than material items. We don't choose our race, socioeconomic class, or neighborhood when we are born. Those kids who are "better off" need guidance as well. They need to be around people who are different than them in order that they might not turn out like many of the stereotypical wealthy people in America.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:56 am
All-star
All-star

I've worked in both situations. I don't think that because kids are wealthy and have material things that we can't touch their lives. Some of the wealthiest kids are those in most need of guidance and "life" education. I found both situations to be equally rewarding but from different perspectives. Yes, my upper middle class parents were demanding, but they were involved in thier kids lives and education. When working with underpriviledged kids, it was easy to connect with them but frustrating to call home for assistance and get no response.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree, Charlie, but...those are not the children that need you the most. I feel that children are children, no matter what. What seperates the different schools that we have are the resources that have been made available to them and the exposure that they have had. Many of the children that come from upper class backgrounds are going to have someone touh their lives one way or another~ Their money will make sure of it. I have been in different schools from my undergrad degree until now, and it almost seemed as though the teachers there were on the parents beck and call, and on what THEY wanted thier child's education to be like. I know that things can be different at different schools, but that has to be tough on some teachers. I had a friend that taught in Chapel Hill, and she said that not only were the teachers always uncomfortable - but the adminstrators also. It was always "what will the parents think?" not, "what will be best for the students."

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:58 am
All-star
All-star

like the school where I am now because the demographics are a true representation of Winston-Salem. This is essential if students are to learn about diversity, other cultures and getting along with others not like them. Zoning prevents some students from attending school with those not like them. I believe Zoning and neighborhood schools was a step backwards for WSFCS. When Dr. Martin came to our school system parents of middle school age students being bused to East Winston were very vocal in their opposition to busing. Unfortunately, Dr. Martin listened and we are left with the consequences.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:32 pm
All-star
All-star

WOW! That's alot to think about. I want to always make a difference whether the school is in poverty or not. I want to be able to bring resources and adequate education in every situation. A school that has all of the material things that it seems it needs to education may still be missing things such as how to treat one another fairly, looking at differences and seeing that they are ok, respect, dignity, etc. There will always be cliques in every setting.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:13 pm
All-star
All-star

That is an interesting question. I think personally, I would rather serve the middle to lower class students because these are the ones I relate to from my own experiences. However, some teachers may really have a handle on upper class kids, who have their own sets of problems.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]