View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 PTA MEMBERSHIP 
All-star
All-star

Little things that I overlooked are now very apparent to me. We have teachers complaining about being asked to join PTA. Membership is $5.00 and the way in which some staff members are complaining you'd swear it was $50.00! I wrote a reflection paper on this because I don't know how you can "make" someone join if they do not want to. Any suggestions

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:45 pm
All-star
All-star

If joing the PTA is an expectation for all teachers of your school, then it shouldn't matter the cost to join. I sometimes have a problem with "making" people do things that they do not have it in them to do. However, as adults it should be easier by now to accept the fact that there may be plenty of things that we'll have to do despite how we may fell about them. That's a part of being an adult.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:31 pm
All-star
All-star

Joining PTA has been an issue at our school. I agree that people shouldn't be forced to join something they choose not to. I just have a problem with our teachers being willing to give $5.00 in return for how much we receive. We have an excellent PTA that too many of our teachers take for granted. Our PTA provides us lunch several times throughout the year, provides book money for each grade level, vounteer in our classrooms on a regular basis and provide us with $15.00 per child to use to purchase materials for our classroom. I know teachers in other schools who would give anything to have PTA provide them with this type of funding. I've suggested to these teachers that they have that $5.00 taken out of the fund the PTA provides for them. For the PTA the money isn't the real issue, it's the fact that it shows support when the staff's participation is 100%.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:49 pm
All-star
All-star

:twisted: We all love the PTA :twisted:

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I will be a honest. Five years ago when I starting teaching, I did not want to pay my dues. I think my issue was that I was being force to pay dues. If it would have come across as being asked to pay the dues then maybe I would have considered it. As a first year teacher money was already tight. Although it was only $5.00, at that time $5.00 felt like $50.00. I have known my principal to pay for any teachers that have not paid just so she will have 100% participation. For the last three years there has been some secret business partner that has paid for all of the falcutly and staff PTA membership. We still do not know who it is. PTSA or PTA does a lot for teachers and the school as a whole so I do think it is important for teachers to join. We as future administrators must present joining the PTSA, not as a mandate but as a thank you to PTSA for supporting us throughout the year.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:26 am
All-star
All-star

It's only $5. As teachers there is always something to complain about. How can we ask parents to join a parent/teacher association when we ourselves don't join. Those same teachers at the end will be the one's complaining that the PTA doesn't do anything for them. Pay the money and stop whining!

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:29 am
All-star
All-star

Candice would you come to my school and say that to a few people?

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:56 pm
All-star
All-star

We need to have some cohesiveness between the faculty and the parents and community. Our PTA organization does a lot for our teachers. They give us yearly mini-grants, sponsor Science Nights, provide dinners, lunches and brunches on occasions. They respect us and I value their support. Teachers should join the PTA without even batting an eye. This is such a non-issue. JUST DO IT!!!

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]