View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Rosa Parks 
All-star
All-star

One of the pioneers to the Civil Rights Movement passed away yesterday. I couldn't help but to think about her contributions as well as the contributions of others as they relate to what I do everyday. I enjoy teaching and working with students and people from all backgounds, and her passing reminds me of the sacrifices that others made to make it possible to do what I do!

Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I am glad we are now in a place in america where you, Terrence, are able and allowed to teach in the classroom. Because if you were not able to, those students no matter what race would missout on an awsome teacher.
I usually have a hard time getting my students to watch Channel 1, but the other day, it was no trouble at all. They were glued to the TV wanting to know about Rosa.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:51 pm
All-star
All-star

There are many who made contributions to the civil rights movement. I am glad that the news took time out from Katrina, Wilma and the White House investigation to give Mrs. Parks more than a blurb on the news.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:44 am
All-star
All-star

What an example of how one individual, at an end of a day, could perform a simple act of civil disobediance and help change a national culture over the following fifty years. In 1961 it was deemed important somehow that an individual should give up there seat on public transportation based on race. Her feet ached and she simply reponded to her voice with an outloud rejection of a silly rule.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:19 am
All-star
All-star

I just recently saw one of the last interviews that Rosa Parks granted. She said that at the time she didn't know that her actions were so monumental. She said she was just tired from a long day's work and wanted to go home. I am glad that she was alive long enough to know how she truly made a difference.

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:53 pm
All-star
All-star

It really was sad to see Rosa Parks go, but like Donna, I am glad that she was able to see she made a difference. She may have said she was just tired from working, but she was a hero for what she did-she was brave and stood up for what she believed in. She will always be remembered for what she did.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:31 am
All-star
All-star

I am humbled by the actions of one tiny little determined woman. What a big space in history is left by her passing.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:35 pm
All-star
All-star

Rosa Parks was a perfect example of how ONE person can bring about CHANGE. It's all about standing for principles. She did not know at the time the effect her actions would have on a nation. I'm also glad she lived long enough to know it and feel it. certainly, her memory will stand as a symbol to all.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of your statements. It is nice, wonderful, shocking, overwhelming, hopeful to see that she is getting the full coverage that she deserves.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:53 am
All-star
All-star

I think that Rosa Parks gives us all hope. She stood up for what she believed, and although small to her, turned out great for many of us. It makes you feel that any little gesture or move that you make can affect others greatly.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I was also touched by the life of Rosa Parks. Something that made her seem to relevant was the fact that she was 'just a woman', not rich or overly famous before the 'bus ride'. That could be us in the lives of our children as we try to make a difference in their lives; we don't have to be rich or famous------- just willing to do something!

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]