View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Lynching Pictures 
All-star
All-star

After viewing the lynching pictures posted on the website, I was reminded of a few things. Most importantly, I am thankful for living during the time period in which I am living! I see no justification for treating any human in this manner under any circumstances. However, this type of behavior was real and very much engrained in American culture. In fact, this was the type of behavior and treatment that our country was founded and thrived on for hundreds of years. A classic example of "powerful" taking advantage, eradicating, and exploiting the "powerless", for no other reason other than the fact that they could!

Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:48 pm
All-star
All-star

If we look we can still see this type of mentality in our white students. I have three white students that also have a black teacher. They absolutely do not respect the man. I have been trying to get them to realize that he is just another person. That he can be trusted. Now I don't know if this is his upbringing or what, but he is quite a hot head. He gets mad very easily. This teacher is like most of us we will push with all of our might until the other person gives up.
I am working with my students to just try to do what they are asked to do and see if they don't see some type of behavior change in the teacher.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I cried when I looked at these pictures. Horrible! I agree with you Terrence that I am glad to be living in a time period where this is not part of our culture. I just don't understand how this could have ever been acceptable behavior!

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:20 pm
All-star
All-star

It is unfortunate of the terrible, cruel and evil things that have been allowed to happen in this country. Even though these things happened 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, etc. years ago, it still has a direct effect on the world today. I agree with you Linda and Terrance. Had I been alive during that time period, my picture would probably be up for viewing as well. The sad part is that lynching are still evident today. It might not be with a rope and a tree, but with other things like drugs and lack of education. Today while looking at these pictures, I look around my classroom at my students. I thought to myself that these children don't have a clue as to what has happened or the history of other cultures (all cultures) other than what they learn in school. We all know that what is learned school in the subject of history/social studies is limited. If were not for my parents teaching me and exposing me to my history, I would not be just as ignorant as some of my students.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:56 am
All-star
All-star

Walter I totally agree. Today everyone walks around like everything is alright with the world. There is still a lot of hatred and ignorance out there. This ignorance exists on both sides of the color spectrum. Too often we close ourselves up to people of other races and do not give each other the chance to learn about one another. Living here in the south, it is quite clear who is for you and who doesn't give a d@#$. It makes me very sad anytime that I do see a confederate flag or go into a store behind a white person who held the door for everyone else but allows it to slam in my face. Needless to say, I do at times feel that this is a minority but I do believe that this is true only to the region in which you live. Although things should have changed, it is still very difficult. We might not be hanging on trees but are still being lynched by the lack of education and by those that are just too ignorant to care.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:25 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you all. The sad part of these pictures is that some people still and will always believe that this is OK. Candice, I can feel what you are saying about "us" being lynched now. No, we are not hanging from trees but we still deal with the day to day struggle of not being able to have the same freedoms, liberities,and advantages as others. I too am glad that I did not live during this time period! It is sad to see these pictures, but it is even sadder that this mentality is still around today. I see teachers that constantly taking advantage of children that do not have and that they feel are beneath them. No, they are not physically hanging them, but mentally they are doing the same damage.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:27 am
All-star
All-star

Walter your statement about today's lynchings is very true. Many students have no clue of the struggle and oppression many fought against to help them live in a society with somewhat limited and less open racism and oppression. Yes, racism is alive and well but due to ignorance to people about historical struggles, they take for granted what could have been a society that they could have endured if they lived some fifty or more years ago. I believe remembering cruelty and mistakes that we have made as an American culture, helps to remind us of how hatred and jelousy of one another can lead to stupid actions. We are all people and must learn how to respect our differences in order to co-exists in society.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I, too found the pictures and our discussions in Thursday night's class disturbing. The horror that that 14 year boy must have felt after being abducted that night should never ever have to be experienced by any person, much less a child.

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I, too, was haunted by the extreme violence displayed in the lynching pictures. I am at a loss to explain how one culture (supposedly civilized) could condone treatment of any of God's creatures in such a manner. I am ashamed to be connected to such atrocities by heritage.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you. Being reminded of History can be horrid, especially in cases such as the ones we have been discussing in class. It is horrid, yet unfortunately true. Even more unsettling is the fact that people looked on these lynchings like viewing a movie in 3-D where they physically and emotionally participated. It makes you wonder how acts can occur with no conscience what so ever. Does history repeat itself? For all our sakes, I hope NOT!!!

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I revisited this topic on Nov. 17th because as hard as they are to look at it, we can not afford to let history repeat itself in any form. I discuss the meanings behind these pictures with my own children so that they understand and will not let history repeat itself with them, if possible.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We should all be thankful for living during these times and not during the time of these horrible lynchings. The only thing that bothers me, is that even though we don't hold public lynchings anymore, I feel they are still going on in some forms. The way we, as Americans, treat others who are different from us is insane. We should ban together in order to make a better nation, not break it down.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:50 am
All-star
All-star

I have those same feelings Terrence, and I'm glad that I live in these times. I don't know if I could have made it back then. I'm so outspoken, and we know that this would not have been tolerated.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:17 pm
All-star
All-star

Walter, you are right on the money. We may not be using ropes anymore - but the lynchings continue.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]