View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Radar Ears 
All-star
All-star

While in the airport I overheard some doctors from Durham talking about the public school system there. They talked about how they felt that their child should be in private school, how their child's public school was majority white but called it "ghetto" (go figure), and how the teachers in the schools did not care. I really wanted to ask them about the time that they spent in their child's school, what were their contributions to help make the school better and if they really took time out to get to know the teachers. Its really disappointing that public schools get bashed the way that they do. It makes you want to yell and shout it really isn't that bad because someone taught you and you made it through!

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:51 am
All-star
All-star

I know exactly what you mean. A couple of days ago I was in a small coffee shop and overheard folks talking about how horrible the school bus drivers are, and yes I supervise them for our school.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:23 am
All-star
All-star

I agree. I went to West Forsyth High School, which is a prodominantly white high school. There were many children that came to West behind coming from private schools that their parents had them in prior to their high school years. I do believe that there are some good private schools, but not all are not what they say they are.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:35 am
All-star
All-star

Comments such as the ones that the doctors made are amazing. We often hear that what you put into something, you get out. Imagine how our schools would be if the playing field were level. Considering what some public school systems endure on a week to week, month to month, and year to year basis, I personally feel that they overachieve at times.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:36 pm
All-star
All-star

It is a shame that so many people get so dignified that public education is not good enough for their kids. I believe that it is partly the elite in this country that work to bring public education down. Many believe that the institution and concept of public education does not and can not work and we should try to invest money as citizens towards privitizing education. Privatizing education in my opinion promotes more unfairness and inequality within schools. You may wonder why I say this? I say this because in private education, the people who own the most wealth or put the most money in the school get the best services for their children. I say this to say that we must be the champions for public education and must push to show the successes of students in the system. Their are problems in all educational systems whether post-secondary, secondary, or elementary. If we are to fix these problems we must believe the good and the promise of the public education system and stand up against the nay sayers.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:49 pm
All-star
All-star

It is easier to cast blame than to activate change. I know public school teachers try their best. I am proud to be a part of many of the good things they do for kids.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:37 pm
All-star
All-star

Good point Janet. As I have said before, who else is it for parents to blame other than the teachers.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:50 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with everything posted. So many times the blame is cast upon us. We have to however know what we do does make a difference. Today on my fieldtrip I had several parents approach me and comment about how they don't know how teachers do it everyday and how much they respect us. It's nice to hear comments like these. These are the comments we need to focus on, not the negative ones we overhear.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:54 pm
All-star
All-star

The grass always looks greener on the other side. I agree with Diamond in that there some good private schools, and there are some that are not so good. I have yet to find the "perfect" school. In my opinion there is good and bad in both public and private schools. I defend public schools and we go up against anyone who generalizes about public schools. I also believe parents must decide what is best for their children. We have seen this in some of the cases we've read in our law class. I've had my own children in both public and private schools, some good and some not so good. I had to look at the needs of my children and make the best choice for them based on their individual needs. If we are honest, we know that there are some children in our schools who might do best in another setting. Is this to say that public schools are not good? No, in my opinion it is to say that we must examine each child's needs as just that, individual needs. Some children might do better if placed with another teacher. Is this to say that the first teacher is not a good teacher? There may be a number of variables in the class to require a classroom change, be it other students or a personality clash between the child and teacher.

When I listen to, and see the ideas, techniques, teaching methods and strategies that our teachers have to offer I know public school provides a sound education. Unfortunately, media gives public schools a bad rap in that they focus on the negative instead of the positive. As administrators we should make sure that the media is notified of every good thing going on in our building. They might not respond, but we will know that we tried to get the positive out to the community.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:52 pm
All-star
All-star

Teachers should be cheerleaders for public education but some bad mouth the schools out in public. If our teachers are not standing up for our schools, then who will? My brother has my neice and nephew in a private school. He pays an ungodly amount of money which tends to put a financial strain on his family. I am always trying to talk him in to putting them in public school. He lives in Maryland and has listened to his neighbors and the community talk about the public schools in a negative light. I tell him, "Hey, we didn't turn out so bad, did we?" He says the jury is still out in ME!

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:44 pm
All-star
All-star

Honestly, I think there is more workshops and training presented to public school teachers. I'm not saying that private school teachers don't attend workshops but the public schools are always having inservice training. I believe that in some cases public school teachers have been exposed to more training. Such knowledge makes for more effective teachers.
Linda Younts

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Linda. In my opinion, when it comes to curriculum and the newest "strategies" public school are ahead of private schools. This may be because we have a number of open minded and knowledgable instructional leaders who continue, and promote learning. Private schools tend to remain in a rut for fear of running off the parents/students enrolled in their program. I think this happens more in Christian schools where teachers and students often attend the same church.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]