View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Raising Teacher Salaries to Exceed the National Average 
All-star
All-star

I guess by now, everyone has heard about the raise that we will receive at the end of the month and the 5% increases over the next three years. I am grateful for this step taken by the governor. It sickens me when I think about how many teachers have to work 2 and 3 jobs just to make ends meet. What do you all think of the governor'sa plan to raise salaries?

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I am very glad this is happening. I know that teachers always fuss and say that we don't get paid enough, but it is true. I was just asking my husband, if his job made him so exhausted by Friday night that he couldn't do anything, and of course he said no. I think teaching is mentally and physically challenging. It is also stressful to know you are in charge of twenty kids education and safety. So, yes, I defintely believe we deserve this raise!!!

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:33 am
All-star
All-star

When you are a professional and also in graduate school, how many jobs are you working?

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think anyone will complain about getting more money! We still need more. There are not many professions that require taking work home each day and continually planning ahead as teachers do. I'm not complaining as I knew in advance what is required of teachers, especially those who do more than pass out worksheets. I wish there were additional funds available to hire more TA's. I have 28 students and it would be nice to have extra help.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:42 pm
All-star
All-star

After 21 years of teaching, I'm still trying to reach "the average teacher salary" for the state of North Carolina! :lol:

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I am happy to see the raise in teachers salaries. Maybe for once we will do more to get teachers and drop the teacher retention rates for the state. I don't think the state has gone quiet far enough, though it is a step. For the high school folks that do extra duties and some others and get a supplement they tax it at 48%, I wish gov. Easely would have voted to end that as well. I know it is all political. :lol:

Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:27 pm
All-star
All-star

Good to know that there will be a salary increase. I have to convince myself that my salary may not always come in the form of monetary gain! A tough thing to do sometimes!

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:26 am
All-star
All-star

It is nice to recieve a little extra. As I'm sure everyone will agree, it's nice but we deserve a whole lot more. However it is a start and I am grateful for it

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:41 am
All-star
All-star

I always believe that we should RECOGNIZE PROGRESS....maybe this is just the first step!

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm just as glad as everyone else to recieve more money. We all deserve that. However, I wish I could currently take this additional money and use it towards the hiring of an assistant. In the elementary grades, no matter what grade you teach, it is more challenging to teach without an assistance. I don't mean having someone to run copies, put up bulletin boards. I need someone to assist with the teaching. When I had a full time assistant I was able to work with students in a small group setting and we all are aware of the benefits of that.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Penny, I fully agree! With 28 students, and a potential for 2 more, I am pulled in all directions. Don't even mention trying to handle 9 guided reading groups! I know by midday I am not giving my all to my students because I am exhausted. My planning period is from 2:20-3:00, and students are dismissed at 3:15, with the last student leaving as late as 3:45. All I want to do at the end of the day is sit and do nothing for 15 minutes! An assistant to help with reading groups would be so wonderful!

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:05 pm
All-star
All-star

Has anyone heard how the increase will be applied to assistant principals? I was in an administrative meeting and someone mentioned that assistant principals would receive the same increase? I would like to know if there will be an increase for them also.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]