View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Inner Courage 
All-star
All-star

I am struck by the courage and confidence that the missionaries in the Poisonwood Bible displayed and the culture shock they experienced. I am even more moved by what it must have been like to live with Rev. Nathan Price. Could not have been easy being around someone who is always right. Kingsolver's choice of having the narration from the different characters is a good way to delve into how differently each experiences the same reality.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:11 am
All-star
All-star

I love the way this author has compared the complexities of one culture against the perceived simplicities of another. The two cultures at times run at odds, and at other times seem parallel. I love the reference to the fact that Ada does not feel handicapped in the Congolese world. She says that they accept physical anomolies as "a consequence of life". So true, yet so difficult to explain to many in our society.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:26 pm
All-star
All-star

Do you think that Nathan was truly solely responsible for his family unit falling apart?!

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:49 pm
All-star
All-star

This is true. It would be so wonderful if our society looked at handicapped as being "a consequence of life." There are some who think being handicapped is a curse for some unforgiveable sin, even that of one's fore fathers. Maybe these people could be related to Nathan. :)

Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:47 pm
All-star
All-star

Handicapped in the Congo definitely doesn't mean the same as it did in the US at the very same time. Everywhere you looked there were people who were disabled in some manner.

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought it was interesting that after Adah was"cured" she missed her old life as "Ada"

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]