View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 An ungrateful generation or just lack of information? 
All-star
All-star

The strides of Rosa Parks and many others of the abolitionists, women’s rights, and many other movements were and are key players for us to realize the privileges we have access in our society. Sadly enough, as the gap continues to increase between generations the less students understand the struggle. For instance when Rosa Parks died I had a student point to Maya Angelou and say ya that lady died this week. She was not aware of her name or what she had contributed to society. Yes, that was a teachable moment, but I find myself very frustrated with the level of ungratefulness mainly due to lack of exposure that children have for things which we believe to be important. Where does this level of ungratefulness end and where do you see our role as educators to try and eradicate it?

Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:38 pm
All-star
All-star

We can't expect our students to know what we knew when we were their age. We weren't raised by the same parents. Our students have a totally different mentality, and when you couple that with their parent's mentality I can see how a student may mistake Ms. Angelou for Ms. Parks. That's where we come in. We have to take on a more active role in the lives of our students. These roles may entail going beyond what our job responsibilities are.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:09 am
All-star
All-star

What we all have to remember is that a lot of these parents in today's world are young. Many of them were never taught. So of course that ignorance has been passed down to their children. The majority of our parents/grandparents lived during that race war time period which is why we have so much knowledge regarding that topic-some of us anyway.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:47 am
All-star
All-star

On another side, we have to realize that the history that is being taught to many of our students is not that our culture. Not only should they be taught the importance of people such as Rosa Parks, but they should taight these things in dept~ just as other history topics are taught. If we as teachers don't feel that it is imortant enough to teach our students these parts of history that are not in the history books, then they are lost.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:50 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, I agree that we must go above and beyond. I believe that the thing that must be taught to these students is the Quest for knowledge. Yes moma and daddy may not know it, don't care to know it, but we must instill in our students the importance of learning for learning sake. This makes us better individuals and more capable of helping others. Yes, I believe patience and teachable moments are important, but more importantly I believe stressing the reason of knowing one's history is important, because it makes us who we are, meaning we are better able to decifer what makes us, instead of others dictating it for us. To speak to Diamonds issue, I think that we as educators whether black or white should stress knowing ones own race or cultural history. Not to segregate each other but to have more of an understanding or appreciation where one has come.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Diamond. So much of the information used in the classroom should be tied to current events. Rosa Parks was a "living legend" until last week. Now with her passing, and the mention on National News shows and publications, teachers (and parents) who have not done so should take a cue from the headlines and revisit Mrs. Parks place in redirecting history. Making meaningful connections is the most important part of any teaching we do- particularly history.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]