View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Poisionwood~ Bible..... What do you think? 
All-star
All-star

After looking at some of the things that happened in this book, some of the things bothered me. I hate to say it, but there are many "leaders" that behave exactly the way that Nathan did. I strongly feel that Nathan had good intentions, however, he failed to listen to what was being told to him. For example, when someone told him about saying the word incorrectly~ he continued to say it that way. Not only was this a time for him to learn from someone else. I have observed some principals that are like this. They are so focused on "their mission" that they fail to see the big picture sometimes. What do you think?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:04 pm
All-star
All-star

Your comment Diamond brings me to a point Tavis Smiley made this morning on Ethical Leadership quoting Cornell West. Tavis stated that there are so many leaders, but one can count the few ethical leaders like Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa, and Rosa Parks. What seperates one from being an ethical leader than just an ordinary leader? Tavis stated that two qualities must be present, first a love for people then a willingness to serve. So often leaders miss this two needed qualities and make unethical decisions based on their own agendas. I think this is a standard that any leader must measure up to in order to make effective decisions as well. This is something that I also feel that Nathan may have lacked.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I think Diamond , Paula, and Tavis really nailed something here. It is so important that we integrate our emotional training along with the intellectual and academic training. Having the ethical standards being fully a part of us keeps them from occassionally being apart from us.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:22 am
All-star
All-star

I agree. Sometimes people are so focused on the mission that they stop listening to the day to day conflicts and injustices. We can learn from Nathan's mistakes.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Nathan forgot the undertaking for his mission, the people. Sometimes I think administrators get so bogged down with paperwork and other agenda that they forget about the people, be it the students or the staff.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:02 pm
All-star
All-star

I also agree with each of you. Somehow we will have to stay focused on the mission's goal and not lose sight in any way. It's a battle but the rewards must be worth the battle scars.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:24 am
All-star
All-star

In reading a review of the book it raised the question of whether Nathan represented western or specifically American ideas in how we deal with other nations and other cultures. I think there's some merit there.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]