View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Reading 
All-star
All-star

What are your views on four block reading versus the Basil. We do four block at our school, but this school has not made AYP or ABC in the last few years. I feel our students need more concrete exposure to reading. These level books are just not effective in this school climate.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm trying to figure out why my posting is coming up as guest again. So just ignore all of this.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Penny. Teaching a child to read is hard as every child has their own strengths and weaknesses and we must address them on an individual basis. With 28 students I often feel as though I am failing some of my students. I don't have an assistant, so it is up to me to listen to each child read and attempt to meet their needs. Unfortunately, my higher readers suffer the most because the majority of my time is spent working with lower readers.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:57 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Penny and LaVerne that we have to address children's reading skills on an individual basis. It seems like once I learn a program well they introduce a new one. I have taken what I have learned from each(whole language, four blocks and a ball, literacy first ect.) and used ideas to do what works for my students. I too spend more time with my slower readers, but my higher readers are also getting the time they need. I use literature circles. While I work with a group, the higher groups read a chapter in their novel. They have assigned jobs to do after they read their chapter which they record in their reading journals(artful artist, Vocabuary picker, question maker, etc.) The students learn to work together as a group on these reading tasks. Except for the first introduction to the book, sometimes my meeting with these groups are short. I assess their reading comprehension and do a one minute timed reading to enhance their fluency skills. This has worked for me but wasn't something I started from a single program. I do think that effective teachers take ideas that they have been given and apply them to what works best in their own classroom.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:11 am
All-star
All-star

I have seen reading trends come and go in my twenty years of teaching. It always seems the same old trends keep coming back again and again. We use a combination of reading strategies. I teach using novels, guided reading with leveled readers and a basal on occasion. I use what works best with the class I am given. I am finding, however, that basic grammar, syntax and structure skills are lacking in my students. They should know what an adjective is by third grade!

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]