View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Coach Carter 
All-star
All-star

In one of our classes, Joseph, you were telling us about a teacher who was bad mouthing one of the students that was added to your class. You mentioned how you have shown the student respect and have made progress with him. I was wondering if any of you guys have seen the movie Coach Carter. This movie reminded me of this class discussion. In the movie the basketball coach expects the students to have passing grades and to attend all of their classes. When he realizes that some of his students were failing he puts a lock on the gym and cancels basketball games. The parents were enraged. The principal was what got me because even she believed that statistically these students were doomed to failure and told the coach to do his job. When the coach told the students the statistics of dropouts verses college bound students they started to understand what his intentions were. The coach ending up making a difference in these students lives. As educators we should remind ouselves that our children will began to care about what they make of themselves if they know someone is there who cares about what they become.
Linda Younts

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:39 am
All-star
All-star

Excellent movie! Good example of what not to do as an administrator.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I have seen this movie and was very moved by it. Even though Coach Carter did a very unpopular thing by locking the gym door. He made a statement. He was right and almost had to give in to community pressure. He remained tough and firm in his beliefs. I was amazed at the parent's reaction. They were more interested in the kids playing basketball then in their children learning and doing what was right. We need to lead by example and follow through with consequences.

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I think sports gets most high school parents more excited than academics. Many believe their kids can be star quarterbacks more often than they believe the kid could get an a in algebra. It is sad, that some of this energy (and Money?)couldn't be redirected toward academic excellence.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:38 pm
All-star
All-star

We watched this movie with our children. It was important that we as parents were able to see the movie through their eyes. The conversation added alot to the movie because we talked about it very frankly. Children should be given a chance to say who their heros are also. I wonder if Coach Carter would have been portrayed the same way? Also, if the students voted on Teacher of the Year, Principal of the Year, etc., would the outcome be the same?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:29 am
All-star
All-star

As a former "jock" and coach myself. I really want to see this movie. Maybe after this week I can sit and enjoy it!

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]