View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Faces of Poisonwood 
All-star
All-star

After tonight's discussion, I keep going over so many thoughts and trying to 'iron' them out to apply them to educational administration. I was happy that we brought our classes to a close in a way that the relevance was shown between the beginning book and discussion to the last ones. As I mentioned some information about my life as a 'preacher's kid' I could relate to the way that the family members were presented in the book. Just like the American-Nacirema anaology, the more I may want to look at things differently, somehow, the more they seem to stay the same. I also thought about the Poisonwood question about how we will see the importance of new environments? We have to go in a new environment ready to be "WOWED" and ready to learn with an open mind.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we need to put self aside and remember that many of our children do not come form homes with the same morals, values and norms as we do. If we could take the roof off of their homes and look inside we may find unbelivable living conditions. For some children the only stability they have is school.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with you Roberta. It is going to be very important for us to go into any new school position especially administration with an open mind. We can not start a new position with the mind set that we are going to save the situation and change all of their lives. We have to take baby steps and sometimes, we even have to back up and try again.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]