View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Poisonwood Bible 
All-star
All-star

I really enjoyed reading the Poisonwood Bible. I really liked how I got to read from different perspectives and not just one. It was also interesting how the author would allow the reader to find out what happened to one character (say Leah) in Rachael's eyes and then in the original character's eyes. I though it was an eye-opener and I have already advised my mom to read it next!

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Molly, I agree. I too liked the different perspectives where you could see a character through anothers eyes. The book also enlighted me about cultures and pieces of African history. I too will recomend it to my friends and family.
Linda Younts

Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I aslo enjoyed reading the different perspectives of the characters. I found it very interesting of how the one person that created the situation for all of the characters, did not have a chapter in the book to voice his opinion. I looked at this from an historical context. Often times we have a situation in which the story is told by the people who create situation. Those that have been affected negatively by the situation seldom get the opportunity to tell their side. This book did a great job of allowing us to see the opposite.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:25 am
All-star
All-star

I agree Terence about the different views. Too many times this is the way History is written and told.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:16 pm
All-star
All-star

Even though my preference in reading a book is to flow through out it instead of going from character to character and viewpoint to viewpoint, I realized after the class discussion that this was the best way to write this book. Since the sections were short, it wasn't too confusing. Wouldn't it be great to see what the Father's book would be like?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:11 am
All-star
All-star

I also really enjoyed this novel. It was exotic and you really couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next. I kept asking myself about the hipocracy present, especially with Nathan. If I were Orleanna, I would have hoped that I could have had the courage to do the right thing- in the best interests of her family. How sad for Ruth Mae.

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I remember a book I read in high school called the Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. It tells the story from several different characters and it is very unique-you should read it as well.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:48 pm
All-star
All-star

Roberta, I also would like to hear Nathan's story, although the girls did a great job of describing everything - it would be interesting to get his perspective.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]