View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Oprah/Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I never have time to watch television however; twice recently I have turned on the TV during the Oprah show. Both times Oprah was addressing issues we have discussed in class. The first was teen sexuality which was the previous post.

The second Oprah show included a segment about a woman from Afghanistan that had been fighting for the education of their youth, especially girls. She withstood political treats, intimidation, and literally risked her life to fight for her values and believes surrounding the importance of education for her people. With the aid of the Oprah Foundation she was able to build schools and provide education for thousand of youth. Many girls were able to attend school for the first time ever. Several of the young girls interviewed had studied in secret to learn to read and write. Many were learning for the first time and expressed the hopes and dreams of how their futures would be different by having an education. The new schools were so overcrowded they had to run to sessions. The first session began at 7 AM however; the students were so excited they were there by 6 AM everyday. This show made me think about the difference in perspectives of the value of education. These students did not have the same freedom to an education yet many were willing to risk what freedom they did have for that opportunity. Even though we have the freedom of choice concerning education there are still many ways we can take risks to make changes. Are we as future educators willing to do that or will we compromise for what is safe?

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:12 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think if we compromise for what is safe, nothing will even be accomplished. If we teach our student the norm, and never really expose them to anything, then they will do the same. I think as teachers, even though certain administration will disagree, we must be risque', challenging, and pose situation and conversations that make the student incomforable. If they never face it in our classrooms, how will they face it in the real world?

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:10 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]