View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 What group of students will you want as a teacher? 

Do You Feel within your classroom, you will?
Reach out to students that are needing more assistance? 86%  86%  [ 12 ]
Teach children all similiarly no matter their past experiences 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Reach out to students that are similiar to you, whether you were in AG you can connect with AG students... 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

What group of students will you want as a teacher? 
All-star
All-star

I have always been "attracted" to people who are like me or less advantaged than myself... I dont want that to sound like IM better than anyone, because Im not... I have noticed that I "reach out" to people... As a teacher I feel that I reach out to students who do not have as many resources, and who may be having difficulty with class material, example students that are lower achieving and learning disabilities. I guess this is why Im in Special education as well as Elementary education.... I understand that the general education class will have many different types of students but I feel the students with less opportunities and resources need more assistance instead of giving special services to children who are from wealthier backgrounds, more intelligence, etc.. "smarter children" will be able to succeed anyway, the lower achieving students need more assistance....

I thought about this before the video we saw but it also made it more concrete while watching it, that its where I thought I stood as a future educator!!

THANKS FOR LISTENING, Please respond. I hope i made sense :oops:

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:03 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you, I think that the students that are recieving help from home or just understand the material are going to achieve anyway, therefore why not help the students that are needing more assistance to achieve. I want all of my students to achieve in my future classroom and I am going to work hard to fill the gaps between the students that do understand the material to the ones that don't. I remember teachers that reached out to me when I didn't understand and it changed my whole perception on school. It gave me hope that someone out there does care and I want to be that someone to a future child, or many future students.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would probably reach out to students that reminded me of myself growing up. I would be able to truly tell them I know what they are going through. I am not saying I wouldn't help everyone, but I would feel drawn to the children that I saw myself in.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that I would reach out more to children that are in need of more assistance, or may be less advantaged than others. I am an extremely caring person and I have found that I am always reaching out to those that may be underprivalaged or experiencing times of trouble or difficulty. When I worked in a first grade class, I noticed that I began to pay special attention to this one little boy who had an extremely troubled past, and his stressful and degrading homelife was definitely taking a toll on how he behaved in the classrom. I was so drawn to making sure that I could provide him with the extra attention and help that he needed.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that I could have answered with the first and the third answers. I know that I would help students that are struggling, because I have a heart for those kinds of students. However, I would probably gravitate to students who were shy and awkward socially.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that all teachers, whether they realize it or not, reach out more to children that remind them of themselves. It's just a natural human instinct. However, I think another natural instinct is to reach out to and try to help those that are less fortunate than us, or those that seem to be struggling. For example, I think that I have mentioned before that I work at Mabel in the afterschool program. There is one first grader that is very much so behind grade level in reading, and I usually find myself spending most of the homework time helping him. But at other times during the day, I find myself paying more attention to other students, ones that remind me of how I was at that age. I think as teachers, we teach who we are. So, we have to be mindful of our prejudices and preferences when we teach, so we can be aware and not instill them in the students we teach. And also so we don't favor one type of student over another.

Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:30 am
All-star
All-star

I know I would reach out to the students that need it more. I teach music on Friday mornings. I am a mentor to two 5th grade girls. During class it is my responsibility to help them out. One of them has been play violin for 6 years and the other not a lot of music training at all. I find my self helping the girl who does not understand. In music, would it be fun if one person in the band was off beat, No I don think so. But how do you think the off beat person feels. I am sure it would not be a choice between fun and no fun.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hope I have the abilities to recognize the issues all my students are dealing with in regards to their schooling. I'm sure this ability will come with time and patieince. I voted for the first one, but I feel it is our duty to reachout to all the students, not just the ones that need special assitance. But, those students who require further assitance will recieve it, I hope.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I will try and reach out to those students that need more assistance just because I like helping students that need help catching up with those that may be further ahead. I feel that all students if given a chance can do whatever they want. I know that I had some teachers when I was in school that basically gave up on me and then there were others that pushed me to be better, and now I am almost half way done with my senior year in college and will become an educator. So I look back at that and see that as long as I as an educator push each an every student to do there best I can go home at the end of the day knowing I gave every student an equally opportunity and put time into helping them.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Reflecting on my past experiences with children I am drawn to those that have more challenges. I am always the advocate, seeing possibilites that others tend to discount. I can find strengths and assests in every child and family. I want every child in my class to have equal opportunities. However, diversity always makes that a challenge. I feel it is my responsibility as an educator to make it happen.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I actually will not vote on this topic. My reason is, is because I will be teaching music. More specifically, depending on job placement, a Band class. In band you have all levels of students and their ability on an instrument. For my students that are doing well, I would give them more challenging material to work on independently and hope that with this material they would choose to enter Solo and Ensemble competitions as I did when I was in High School. For my students that are not doing as well, or are not as advanced, I would work with them to help bring them up to the level that they should be playing on for that grade level. If I can keep them AT grade level, then I will consider that an ecomplishment. I would do this by providing supplemental materials that would focus on bring them up. In complete ensembles, I can't have my band play such difficult music that the lowest level person has no chance to play it, but at the same time, I can't have music where my more advnaced students are bored. So, by focusing on each student, I can help each student advance. I want to help both. I want all of my students to be able to play and not get left in the dust by everyone. I want each student to know and realize that they are important and help to make this a complete ensemble.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:16 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Justin. I think it's important that all students are helped and challenged regardless of their ability. As a special ed teacher I know that I will be working with kids that need extra attention and instruction. However, I hope to be a resource not only to special ed kids but to allkids in the school. I hope that any student needing help or someone to talk to would feel comfortable approaching me.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ok so I said that I would try to teach the kids all the same... but honestly, there is no getting around giving students the help they need. If a student needs more help than others, then why not give it to em??? But Im sure I will be just as fair to all students in my classroom. I also can't help the students that will stand out to me... give ME more attention as a teacher and want to me to be involved in thier life. I can't shun them away either. But I know that I have a heart for those out there who don't verbally stand up and command attention and/or help when the need it. So I will take the "back way" to getting in their heads and hearts. So ultimately... by either helping them up front or by masking my attention to others... I think that I will be teaching all my kids the same.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I voted for reaching out to the students who need it most. This was more of a wishful thinking vote. I will naturally be drawn those most like me, so I hope to conciously overide that tendency and allot more time to those who need it most.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]