View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Question:Will racism towards African Americans ever die out? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think with each passing year many of our true prejudiced society dies out a little each day. Its's happened in my family with the passing of certain grandparents (may the rest in peace). Obviously we can see evidence of the lack of prejudice in our lives daily, thank God. I think in the future we will only see more. Knowing that our society has a lot of work to do regarding this issue, I like to believe we our heading in a positive direction.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:19 am
All-star
All-star

Kenny, I agree that I would like to think we are headed in a positive direction but I don’t think it will happen anytime soon. As you said everyday a little of our on prejudice die but I think that no matter what there is a little prejudice in us. My grandmother is not what I call racist but she will occasionally say racist comment about a black politician but when she comes in contact with a black person(doesn’t happen often) she is nice and respectful . I like to think that I am not racist against anyone but I know I have a little bit of it in the back of my head from my grandmother. During elections she always talks about my grandfather being up north when those n------- marched on Washington. I can’t tell you the number of times I have heard that story and some how that little bit of racism she has is passed on to me. I know that when I have children that in some way that prejudice will be passed on. Hopefully, I will never act upon that prejudice.

I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say. Let me know if you don’t. :D

Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:50 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that eventually rasicm towards blacks will die out, but not in our life time. People are getting more openminded, but ti takes a looooong time. I hate to admit it, but sometime I can be prejudiced. I do sometimes get a little more on edge when I pass by a big black guy compared to when I pass white guy. Overall, I am pretty prejudice free compared to parents and grandparents. My grandfather, in the 40s and 50s, owned apartments to rent out to sailors in Norfolk, VA. It surprised me to learn that the black workman painting were never allowed to eat inside. It was just how thing were done back then.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I too would like to believe that we are heading in the right direction but their always seems to be that one guy that messes it up. From the 20 Neo Nazi group that marched in Ohio, to the black guy in my freshman year of high school. Heck he got up and told 1600 students 1100 black that "they kept us in chains because they knew we were the superior race". So is it going to go away. I don't think so, because those few will always draw the match.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hope to say that racism will die out, but I don't believe it will happen in my lifetime. We learn from our mistakes and teach our children not to repeat ours, so hopefully we will be a positive role model to our students.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have hope that racial differences and hate crimes will die out in my lifetime, or will ever die out. Yet I do have a belief that they probably won't. Race and culture differences have always been there, some people have accepted the fact that we are all different, while others still believe that they (as in others) don't belong and should be eliminated. Yes, in one family, older generations of people who believe that different cultures do not belong in this world can very possibly die out. But throughout the world, that would be a huge piece of the population converting into peoples that accept differences, and I think that that is a long time off from happening. Throughout the past, if it was not a race or culture that seperated the human race, it was peoples hobbies, their families lifestyle, or where they lived, along with beliefs. People are always going to be different, but what is going to change this world and make it a better and more peaceful place is our mindset. People have to accept others for who they are, and enjoy each others company. I just find it hard to believe with all of the differences in this world, that can truely ever happen.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post re:
I am not convinced that racism is going away, I think that it is still alive and abundant, but we just do not see it. We live in a time where everyone should be politically correct, so showing bias and prejudice is not accepted now. Although we do not see something does not mean that it does not exist. I think that racism has just been pushed underneath the carpet. I would like to believe that it is going away and that we are moving in the right direction, I would love to see this happen, but I just do not know if it is happening now.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think racism will ever die out. All throughout history, racism has existed. I think it's important to remember that all groups of people have prejudices and can have a racist mindset. In America, I think racism is more targeted at the Hispanic and Arab communities, than the African American community. I think as educators, it is important to recognize and be aware of our own prejudices. Once aware, maybe there is a way to overcome and not pass on our prejucides to our students.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I noticed during the last class our guest was talking about his past and his relationship with his mother. Ever since then I keep playing his experience back in my mind. It broke my heart to hear that his mother was not "kind" to him. What a huge revelation that is to me. I tried to rationalize this by thinking that his mother was a single parent because I didn't hear him mention his father. Being a parent of a 2 year old I can only imagine and sympathize with every single parent especially the mother. I can remember when my son was a little baby and how much heart felt work it was and still is, even having my wonderful wife. I could not help but think of the millions of single mothers. Not making any excuses for Melvin's mom, but it has got to be overwhelming to say the least. And this situation is rampant. Maybe she didn't even realize she wasn't being kind to her son. Think about all the children across this country in similar situations. We will be these childrens teachers. I hope we all will remember that last class and the important job we have chosen to do. We our so much more than educators, we also represent humanity.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Racism is going nowhere. Since man has walked the earth among other men there have been prejudices, and always will be. The first step, I feel, to ending prejudices would be for everyone to accept that "RACE" does not exist and that the term was socially constructed to enable a heirachy of superiority.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We all have something inside us that drives our thoughts and actions. I think we are all born with a certian level of dislike toward others, not because we mean it, but because we were taught it either directly or indirectly. There is always something that is going to knock on the door of our psyche that tells us what to think about certian people or groups. The best thing we can do is remove ourselves from the situation and take a look inside at where these thoughts may have come from. My parents have done the best they could teaching me equality across the globe... but yet there are still instances where I find my mom making a snewed comment about the way someone looks or straight up judging an individual that passes by. Nobody is perfect and I feel there will always be some form of sterotyping that tags us.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this situation is very complicated, and its hard for me to fully comprehend a lot of times. I really have mixed feelings about this topic. Sometimes I think that some form of racism will always be present, just because as a whole, people of different skin color and ethnicity will always be and act different. I don't think the whole idea of "lets learn about our differences and appreciate them and live happily together" is ever going to work. Don't get me wrong, I think that is a wonderful message, but I don't think it will do anything to rid the world of racism or discrimination. I think that as long as people see differences (not individual differences, but differences between whole groups of people), they will always form opinions and prejudices based on those differences. And yet, other times I think that maybe the situation could change. Especially when I see younger children playing with one another, not caring about what the other kid's skin color is, or what culture they are from. But I think that in order for the situation to change, we as future parents must not pass along our personal prejudices (and we all have them, whether we realize or want to admit it or not) to our children.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Joey. I would like to believe racism along with other problems in society would die out, but the fact is we are all different, which is a good thing, however it means we will have diversity, and i just don't think humans can live in harmony. I would like to think would could, but I just don't foresee EVERYONE accepting others. We are all intellectually different and visbilee different. Thus i think it's important to teach about diversity and teach others to accept each other. I just don't know if we will ever achieve this.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After reading everyone saying that they agree with so and so about racism becoming exticnt in our society, or die out as some people say, I would also agree. I do agree that it will not be in our lifetime. I grew up in a non prejudice home, but when my mom remarried, her husband used the "N" word. By my constant complaining, he now uses it less and less. Well, what about revers discrimination or racism. I was a memeber of an organinzation on campus where the split between black and whit was about 60/40. In class, or when we met, everyone was so nice to each other and hugged each other. While in there, you still had your seperation, but there were the few black and white students who would intermingle. Once you left the class or gathering, each group would seperate, and no matter how friendly you were, the other group still didn't talk to you that much. This happened in there all the time. I intermingled myself with all the people. However, reciprocation was not shown to me once we left. It's odd to see that no matter how hard you work or try to do the ethical thing, in your mind, it still doesn't work out in the end.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:39 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also think racism will not be extinct in my lifetime. But I do believe we are moving in a positive direction. I to believe as Kenneth does that elders in our family still hold those old thoughts. I know that in my family there are a few that still use the "N" word many times. I try to correct them and make them aware of what they are saying, but I also feel that it for the most part in not helping. I think that education plays a key role with racism. I know that in my family there have only been a handful of us that have gone to college. Many of my family members have been and are farmers in small country towns. Those that do not get out and face more diversity and get those educational experiences will only hold the views of their parents.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:38 am
All-star
All-star

I didn't read everyone reply to this, just the first few, but I would like to say what I thought about what they said.
I don't think that racism will ever die out, because, to a certain extent, I think that it is the human condition. Not that I think that human beings are bad; I really do believe that we are all born good. I do, however, think that, because we live in our own heads and we don't really understand what everybody else goes through, we will never fully understand each person or other races of people. I think that this leads us to make MISTAKES that make others mad. Once they get mad at us, then they do something that makes us mad, and a cycle begins. This lack of COMMUNICATION is what I think fuels racism. However, I don't think that this will end, because people sometimes don't want to STOP being mad about things. I think that this is unfortunate, but true. I think that the best thing that we can do as teachers is to express to our students that communication is a valuable thing, and that we should all try to listen to each other and not judge. :D

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]