View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Female or African-American President? 

Do you think the US will have a female or African-American president first?
Female 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
African-American 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Undecided 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

Female or African-American President? 
All-star
All-star

Do you think the US will have a female or African-American president first?
Some of you may be wondering what this poll has to do with education. Well the reason I ask this poll question was because I believe that when either one of these happen it will be a major topic to discuss in an upper elementary class and on up.

I chose that a female would become president first. There is still a lot of racism in our country to prevent an African-American from being president but there is still a lot of questions about a woman running our country. I don’t know how many of you have watched the new show Commander in Chief, in which a female becomes president. When I watched this show it was like the media was preparing us for the future. The reason I feel this is important to education is because that will be a major subject in history books, that we will be teaching. It will be important to explain to our students why a female or an African-American being president is such a major difference to our country.

Which did you vote for and why?? :?:

Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:27 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that there is more prejudice for an african american president than a female president. Hillary will probably run run in 2008. I don'teven know the name a black person thinking about running. The only person I jenw was Colin Powell, but he swears he won't run. It is interesting to think that while we are teaching history will be made. WE're going to be the leaders in the classroom and we have to lead our students to an understanding of what is happening in the world.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that with slavery still being a huge part of the United States of Americas past, a black woman as president would definitely come after a white woman as president. I think that this country still has too many racial and cultural problems to accept the fact that women are just as good as men, and that they could very well be president. I think that the day that a woman becomes president, will be a glorious day, because it will be the first day that I truely believe that this country is really turning around and accepting others as equals. I think that this day could very well happen, but I think that it is still a ways off because to this day, women are still not thought of or treated equal to men, especially black women.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that the US will have a female president before an african american president is elected. i honsetly had to think about the question for a few minutes until I came to a decision. If all the women voters in america came together they could swing the vote. there is a less of a majority of african american voters, so i think it would be more difficult for an african american to become president. (the high incarcentation rate of african american males takes away from the black communities voice as well, since felons are not allowed to vote...which to me doesn't make much sense since they are being directly affected by the government...)

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think a female is more likely to become president before an African American. I the past few years, women have been taking more and more top seated jobs away from men which tells me the U.S. is slowly coming to realize that women can do everything men can do and sometimes better!

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I voted for an Afican American to be elected before a woman. There are many black leaders of nations throughout the world. There is this small fear that a woman would not get the required respect from the world's leaders needed to become the leader of the U.S. I often think how Condi Rice is treated when she travels to nations where women's rights and issues are not valued. Do leaders talk behind her back, or simply meet with her for fear of the reprocussions our nation can enflict upon another country?

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Nicholas. Especailly with Gena Davis' new show out, it has become even more clear to me the pressures of such a respectable job. I feel that if a woman was to become the president.... she would have to be single. So many people out there would never give a working family woman a chance out there and maybe a single woman is viewed (to me at least) as more driven than others. A female president with a family may have more tensions and issues to deal with internally... but as I'm saying this I ask myself "isn't that the same for a male president?" There we go. I am female undermining those of the same sex. But I'm thinkin the US just might agree with me. Who knows.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I said African-American before a female. I really agree with Nicholas and Sarah. Many of the countries in the world would show no respect for a female president, and I think that most people recognize that.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I choose women because although there are many black leaders. I feel that women are taking faster strides in power than of blacks. I would say it is a very close call.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I voted for a female president before an african american president. However, I do think the likelyhood of either happening is really low. Not that i'm against it, i'd like to see a woman president. As long as the person is qualified i don't see a problem with it. However due to the numbers of white vs. any other race it seems that we will hold office for a while. There probably lots of inner issues that would occur as well if an African American was president, due to race, social class, and what not. This is a vry interesting topc.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I chose undecided. For all purposes aside, I think an African American Woman will become president before any of the other two. I agree with Ashley, as long as they are qualified and can do a better job than what we have now...(oops, did I just say that?) I think women are more go getters, get it done, do it right, do it now. I think men lag around a bit, wait till the last minute sometimes, and just are no on top of it all the time. (maybe i'm just speaking from experience!)

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:50 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that a female will be the president before an Aftican-American. I feel that we may have a female president in the not too distant future. I think that if the woman is qualified and has the motivation to hold the position then so be it. I support all the president's that hold office, even the current president (no oops, I did just say that). They do some good things and some do things you may question, but I feel that females have all the qaulitities just a men do that are needed. I also feel that other countries will no disrespect us just because we have a female president because I think that women can be just as firm and steadfast as any man.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that there will be an African American president before there is a woman president. I think prejudices against women’s capabilities are still more prevalent. Especially if you combined that prejudice among all of the registered voters. I believe it would come down to male versus female, not race.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think there is a chance for an african american to be president until our political parties change thier racial make up. Dems have nearly all of the african american vote, but still don't include many of them in the higher level functions of their party. In the rare chance that the republicans field a african american candidate, they are going to have to challenge their southern political base. Some (certainly not all) southerners still resent anyone that is not white, and I know many people that would vote against someone just because of their race.

But who knows right? Things could change here in the next few years.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]