View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Emmit Till 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We all watch the video on Emmit Till, this video was so interesting yet sad to me because I had never heard of the Emmit Till case. I could not believe the pictures of Emmit after he was beaten and it just even more reasured me of how horrifying racial prejudices were, and in some locations still are. As I watched the video, I was trying to decide if they were ever going to prosecute and throw the murderers in jail that are still living today. Do you all think as this case has now been re-opened, if anything will come of it? Also, do you think that justice will finally be served if these people are thrown into jail, or do you think that too many years have gone by?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found this on line, thought I'd pass it on.

Emmett Till Case On Hold, Awaiting FBI Files

POSTED: 11:14 am CDT October 14, 2005
UPDATED: 11:46 am CDT October 14, 2005

GREENWOOD, Miss. -- District Attorney Joyce Chiles says her office is waiting on the FBI's case file before continuing its effort to seek an indictment in the 50-year-old Emmett Till case.

"I assure you when we do receive it," Chiles told the Greenwood Voters League, "and I hope it will be soon, we intend to go over every piece of paper, every statement, every piece of evidence to review in that case. And if it is a prosecutable case, it will be prosecuted."

Chiles is the district attorney representing Washington and Leflore counties.

Till, a 14-year-old black boy from Chicago, was visiting relatives in Mississippi when he was tortured and killed for allegedly whistling at a white woman in 1955.

An all-white jury acquitted Roy Bryant and his half brother J.W. Milam in the killing. They later admitted in a magazine story they were the two white men who kidnapped and lynched Till, allegedly for whistling at Bryant's wife. Bryant and Milam have since died.

No one was convicted for the crime and many have considered Till's death and the subsequent trial a catalyst for starting the civil rights movement.

"We have all heard certain things about the Emmett Till case," Chiles told the Voters League Wednesday. "We are seeking the truth here. And if there is anyone out there who is still alive and was a participant in this crime, our office intends to prosecute that individual because it's never too late for justice in my opinion."

On June 1, as part of the U.S. Justice Department's reopening of the case, authorities exhumed the body from Till's grave in Burr Oak Cemetery in Alsip, Ill., near Chicago. DNA tests from a recent autopsy positively identify Till's body, according to a published report. Authorities also reportedly found what appear to be bullet fragments.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I had never heard of the Emmett Till case either until we watched the video about him in class. It was so sad and it made me think. I have said before that I think we all have a small amount of prejudice in us. I think this case and others like it maybe the reason African-Americans still have some prejudice against white people. Watching this video made me ashamed in away that a white man would do that to a young 14-year-old child. I really doubt anything will actually come out of this new information, which is sad to say. I feel like too many years have passed for the court to bring anyone to justice.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:21 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had heard that story before. Actually I'd seen that 60 minutes before. Its such a sad story. I think that even in the criminal is elderly not, he should still be punished for something like this. They shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the rest of their lives.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was somewhat familiar with the Till case. I hope to some supreme being that justice will be served in life or the after. I most surely feel that no matter how long it takes there should be justice and severe punishment. However, my personal belief is that nothing will come about from this recent reopening, hopfully I'm wrong.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah I was definatley upset about this. No one should EVER be able to get away with brutally murdering a child. I hope because our society has coem around at least a little in the past 50 years that the FBI will prosecute those who assisted in the crime, black or white. Justice should be served! I can't believe I had never heard of this before last week!

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had never heard of the Emmit Till story before and I found it to be a very sad story. It really sickened me to think that someone would do that just because someone wistled. It was as if Emmit wasn't a person the way that they treated him. To imagined what the blacks had to fear every day because one wrong sound out of your mouth could make you dead. It is just so sad.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

[Regarding Emmit TIll's trial, did you all read about a recent case that dealt with a past murder of a black man and how there are trials being held to uncover rescent evidence found. Two black men who knew the man murdered have taken this opportunity to let justice prevail and bring the past to the future since the murderer is still alive. I don't know the outcome, it was in the newspaper about 3 or so weeks ago. It happened over ten or 20 years ago too.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My brother is a news anchor in High Point for Fox8. I asked him if he had heard about this on the lines and he said he did. I asked if he knew anything further, he said that there hasn't been anything further with this case. The fact that it's out there and being seen again is a great thing. Personally, I don't care how old these people are now, they should be tried and sentenced.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:53 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You all are exactly right. It is unbelievable that someone could treat another human being the way that Emmit Till was treated and then go on living your life without any punishment. I think that it will be a long time before anyone is charge if anyone ever will be, but I hope that the guys that committed this crime will face justice. It doesn't matter how old they are they need to face the punishment that they deserve.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:08 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was not familar with the Emmit Till story. Watching the 60 Minutes video made me physically ill. It is hard to believe that man is capable of rationalizing that kind of treatment of another human being, especially an innocent child. This injustice is an ugly scar that should not be allowed to fade from the history of our country. Reading the article The Mythical African American Male made me realize we have not come that far in the past fifty years. As reflected in my post of the article I have witnessed this unjust labeling occur to a black male of only 2. I know changes take time and we have to continue to believe in the good. Sometimes the things we do are so small it seems insignificant but in the end all of the small changes will effect the big picture.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Last class was the first time I had ever heard of the Emmit Till story. It was quite shocking, but at the same time not so shocking because things like this happened often back then. It's just sickening to me that people could do something like that to a young boy with no second thought. I wonder if the two men who were acquitted had any remorse or felt any guilt whatsoever. I guess the fact that they admitted to killing Emmit shows that they didn't. The thought those two men getting to live out their lives without consequence for what they did upsets me. I think that, if there are any other people alive that took part in the murder, they will be prosecuted and tried. I don't think that, with all the racial issues involved, our justice system would let any of these people get away with what they did, regardless of age.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]