View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Simply being kind. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I noticed during the last class our guest was talking about his past and his relationship with his mother. Ever since then I keep playing his experience back in my mind. It broke my heart to hear that his mother was not "kind" to him. What a huge revelation that is to me. I tried to rationalize this by thinking that his mother was a single parent because I didn't hear him mention his father. Being a parent of a 2 year old I can only imagine and sympathize with every single parent especially the mother. I can remember when my son was a little baby and how much heart felt work it was and still is, even having my wonderful wife. I could not help but think of the millions of single mothers. Not making any excuses for Melvin's mom, but it has got to be overwhelming to say the least. And this situation is rampant. Maybe she didn't even realize she wasn't being kind to her son. Think about all the children across this country in similar situations. We will be these childrens teachers. I hope we all will remember that last class and the important job we have chosen to do. We our so much more than educators, we also represent humanity.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was standing outside the other day, also thinking about the discussion in class. I was humbled, because I felt so small but saw a purpose. I'm here to be a part of certain people's lives. To influnece, serve, and love...knowing I'll never be able to save my students' from their lives. But it's not about that, saving. It's about something else. Reaching and connecting, if only for a moment.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree, I do not want to be a teacher to teach, I want to be a teacher so that I can show my students love. I believe that as a teacher showing love involves teaching them because I will be preparing them to live in the world and without the basic knowledge many others have they may not find happiness. Therefore I think that being a teacher without teaching is a dis-service.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the bottom line is communication. The guy's mom may have been showing him adequate love, kindness, and attention in her mind but I suspect the appropriate level of communication was not there for him to realize it. I think that lack of communication is a problem in many of today's family and even school problems.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that this was sad too, I have seen so many students in my block 1 class who has troubled homes and it really shows in their actions in class. I think that it is important to talk to these kids if they are acting up in school, there is probably a reason behind it. Two of my students this morning were looking down and I asked them if they were having a good day. They both replied, "no, I didn't get to eat this morning, so I am hungry." It broke my heart!!!!! :( I just know that we need to talk to our students, as future teachers, and get down to the bottom of why they might not be listening or why they are talking aloud when they are not suppossed to. This can mean the difference between them succeeding in life or quiting.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]