View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Bill Cosby 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Our guest last week said that Bill Cosby is totally wrong about the lower class blacks. I had never heard anyone say that before. Personally i disagree. I think that the ghetto thug African Americans do not help better the African Race. But then part of me sometimes feels that I will never really know because i'm white. Didi anyone else have any comments about our guest?

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:34 am
All-star
All-star

I was also unsure of that comment. I don’t really see how Bill Cosby could be wrong. If we watch the news in a big city we see a lot about gangs and murder, most of them involving blacks. I think that gives almost all blacks a certain stereotype. I agree with you Rebecca, I am not sure because I am not black so I can’t understand where our guest was coming from.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:44 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Before this summer, I had a similar viewpoint of the "thug" sterotype and of gang members as you Rebecca. How could people living this type of lifestyle be any benefit to society? Well, I spent my summer getting to know two "thugs" who happened to be brothers in the same gang. And I have to say that those two boys taught me so much. They opened my eyes to what it is like to live in another person's world. But most of all, I got to know them beyond their clothes, lingo, and lifestyle... i got to know their hearts. And those two boys are lifelong friends and would do anything for me at a moment's notice.
Anyway, I guess my point is that there are people.. real people with struggles, fears, families, and lives to live, beneath the sterotype. I think it's dangerous to them and ourselves when we stop seeing people.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:31 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Leanna. These people are just trying to look out for themselves. If working out on the street for 2 hours can make them more money than they could get by working 9-5 for 2 weeks, then why not do it?? Yeah, there is risk involved and makes their reputation, their families reputation, and their race's reputation look bad, but thats not what they are concerned about, is it? I'm not sayin its respectable; they are just trying to survive another day. I think we should ask ourselves not "how does this group of thugs make our society look so bad", but "how did our society get so bad that there are thugs out there forced to live this kind of lifestyle?"

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What a wonderful statement Sarah! What did happen to our society?

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that the guest we had in class the other week was just saying that it is more damging or upsetting for a lower class black person to hear another black person (Bill Cosby) say something like "God is tired of you..." than it is to face the discrimination they must everyday. This comment suprised me, but I guess I can never fully understand a black person's perspective. I do see where our guest's point makes sense, though. I think that its very narrowminded and ignorant for a man like Bill Cosby to harshly point out all the "faults" associated with the stereotypical lower class African American without looking beyond them, to the root of why these behaviors take place, and how some of these "faults" might just be natural responses to the conditions they live in. I think for Bill Cosby to say that these people are "failing the civil rights movement" by "not holding up their end of the deal," and then turn around and say something like "God is tired of you" is incredibly hypocritcal.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also thought what he said about Bill Cosby was a little off. I think that the Cosby show sets good examples for African American children, it does get them away from some of the harsh realities of some of their lives. I think that it is wrong to think that the Bill Cosby show is said to re-enact the white race. Any race can "act" this way. However they want to say "act" is. I just think that it is stupid to sit up there and bash that show. Not everyone can watch it because of various reasons, therefore it cannot be the only factor.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]