View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Indian Boarding Schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ok, so I was looking at the info about the Indian Boarding Schools that were set up across the US and the first thing that I thought about was the Holocaust. It said on the website that many lost their lives to disease and the thought shot across my mind that this is exactly what the leaders of this time wanted. And what made the government officials think the Native Americans weren't sophisticated or cultured? The natives had survived this long in peace and worked with other tribes and those from other countries for YEARS before white men came to settle in. That makes them just as cultured (if not even more) as we thought we ever were. I just dont get what makes people think they are better than others or that they know what is right for another person.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also think what is sad about Indian Boarding schools is that the europeans would americanize the students. When they came back to the tribe their elders would not accept them because they had left their heritage. Even though they were americanized they weren't accepted in american culture either, therefore they were ridding the fence. Not accepted in either culture. How hard can that be for a child.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's true, Native Americans have been through such a hardship and trials that has affected them so strongly even til this present day. I was shocked when I read the articles about the boarding schools and how many Native Americans were treated as slaves and strange creatures.

It's a true shame how a turn in society can "spoil the milk". There are so many scars and negative influence alcohol has played in the lifes of Native Americans.

I remember I was at a soup kitchen in New Mexico with a couple of Native Americans. Every now and then some think I could be native due to my complexion and dark hair but when these to Native Americans who were homeless found out where I was from (Spain), they were outraged and literary angry as if I told Columbus himself to execute all native people and steal from them. Eventually they said, we'll forgive you. Made me feel awkward.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I also thought of the Holocaust. It was so sad that they were treated like slaves. One person stated that if they were not done scrubbing the dining room floors by 8 a.m. the matron would come around strapping them. I was surprised by the ending of the article. Esther Horne stated that most of the students were proud to belong to a unique group of people. They were also proud of their accomplishments even though the boarding schools took them away from home. It is good that the boarding school was not a bad experience for everyone

Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:34 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with all of you. This is bad and it does remind me of the holocaust. As I was reading the first thing that came to my mind, honestly, was college (and here I am being semi humorous). There was a section in there about the student going to other states and their parents couldn't see them that often, and then traveling in state, their parents were more likely to see them. That was my first initial response. After reading further about the diseases and work that they had to do I thought that the General just wanted these kids to become, not cultured, but capable of being enslaved. They would have the skills to work on the farms and in the house. Also, I thought that the general wanted to simply make money (even though it didn't seem so, and the article showed no further information on that) by the students selling what they had made in the markets. Reading ahead, I found that the students would go out to the movies, and still have to sit on the colored side. Speaking of riding the fence in an earlier post, how bad could this be? You go to a boarding school to become, essentially, white, and yet you still have to sit in the colored section.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:00 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree with all of you. Not only is it enough that the Native American students had to be sent to boarding school and essentially striped of their culture. But the students were trained to be more civilized occuring to the settlers. Then you do as you are told only to figure out that you will never become an equal or treated with any respect

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Visiting the website about the Indian boarding schools made me also think about the video of the girl from Puerto Rico. How she felt she did not fit in yet after awhile she was no longer accepted by her own culture either. What terrible injustices have occured because of the supeiror Anglo attitude. When will we ever learn?

Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I defintely agree with you sara, I think it is so stupid that we, as whites, felt the need to put the Indians in small groups all over the United States while killing off many because we did not think that they were cultured enough. What gives us the right to say who is cultured and who is not. It also is a lot like the concentration camps because we were forcing this one culture into small areas where they will be recognized easily and grouped together. I don't really understand why people do not remember the killing of the indian civilization as much as the holocaust, because they were borderline about the same event.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]