View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Seductive or just plain sad? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Okay guys, I really do not consider myself to be a prudish person. I have no problem discussing most topics, but I sometimes try to be considerate of others who feel uncomfortable discussing certain issues. However, what the $%# is going on with Halloween costumes? If you are an adult, AT LEAST 18, and you have at least an inkling of sex and maturity, then it is not so bad if you dress up like a whore. However, a nine year old child in two scraps of fabric that barely cover what's barely developed is wrong. Children are losing their childhoods and are being forced into adulthood in part by mass media and society. Whatever happened to G.I Joes and 25 cent lemonade stands. I realize that's old school, but is old school really so bad. Is it really so bad to save your allowance for toys instad of miniskirts and video games where you can buy prostitutes? Why are are we sexing up our kids? Seriously people, give the passifier time to dry before your child is cuddling one of their own.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hear ya! It can be an intense situation for children these days to be children and have such a heavy overload of mass media influence of sex, drugs and you name it. Not to mention, there is alot that happens around Halloween that we may not be aware of. I am not a paranoid person but imagine if you had some young children and some were dressed up as prostitutes along side of possible child molestors ,...etc ...etc......, Trick or treating isn't as safe as it use to be so where do we draw the line. What's safe and commendable, I agree with Jaela about the young girl.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jaela I totally agree. The media and society is forcing children to grow too fast. When I go somewhere and see a young teenager that dresses with just pieces of fabric basically covering nothing, I just wonder why would a parent in there right mind allow their child to step out of the house without dressing respectfully. I know that some children may not have parents that care, but it is sad to know that children feel they have to dress a certain way just to fit in because showing all your skin is the style. I just think it is ridiculous. As a teacher in the public schools I will definitly enforce a strick dress code. This also goes for boys who were those shirts from "Abercrombie" or "American Eagle" that say degrading and sexual things toward females.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One of my favorite early childhood professionals, Bev Bos, has just written a new book dealing with children growing up to fast and how we are promoting this in our expectations as parents and educators. With the average life expectacy, far greater, for babies born today why are we forcing children to grow up so quickly? If children are going to live longer then doesn't it make sense to let them be children longer? They will have more than enough time to be adults.

Last edited by Sharon Barlowe on Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really like what Sharon said. It's one thing for "society" to influence children with images of sex in the media. But what about the parents of these children? I think a parent should allow their children to be open to the world around them, but should also be able to step in and say, "Okay, now what that young woman is wearing is not appropriate for a nine year old girl to wear." And I would hope that parents would have the sense to enforce that. I think that children are growing up too fast, and that comes from many different factors, from growth horomones in food to the things we are teaching in schools.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too am digusted at the way young females and mature females dress. This is not just for Halloween either. Just take a walk on campus and there are tits and ass everywhere you look. BUT I am not going to hop on the blame the media band wagon. Kids do not go out and buy all these sleezy outfits, their parents do. Their parents let them go trick or treating dressed like a $3 whore. Parents let their kids go to school looking like a trashy sluts. Parents fail to teacvh their children self-respect, hell a lot of parents do not even have their own self-respect. My daughter, if I have one, hope to sweet Jesus I don't, will never be allowed to leavve my home looking like some dirty whore.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is all so true. The media impacts kids today so greatly and there is no slowing it down. It's funny because I was in a 1st grade class today, and I see a book bag hanging up that is a Barbie bookbag. When I was younger a barbie bookbag would have just had a picture of her. Today, it is styled to look like a cover of a magazine that says "Star, Barbie" and it has little blurbs on the cover of stories that would be in the magazine such as, "Ken Who?" and "20 secrets you want to know about Barbie and her new boyfriend". I was shocked when I saw this, and it just really made me realize how fast children are growing up and as a teacher I have to make myself aware of what all my students are coming into the classroom already knowing thanks to the media around them.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I think I am going to have to take Nicks side on this one. Parents are to blame for the way their children dress. Yeah media may play a small roll, but parents are fueling their fire by accepting the so called "truths" in their products.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I most definitely agree that some little girls these days dress to whorishly or revealing. I also agree that it is the lack of a firm parental stand on the situation that is to blame over the media. However, there is definitley a problem with the allowance our society has given to media freedom. It's not an unintentional thing that is happening in the media realm, it is the result of intentional marketing and advertising schemes. Basically behind the curtain there is a fat, white man who is profitting on the lack of clothes these girls are wearing.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is soooo true, I also feel like children are yearly younger and younger when they try to act sexy, when they try to attract the opposite sex, and when they wear next to nothing!!! Children should be out learning about life and making new memories, not worrying about who they are going to marry and what kind of sexy things to wear. For example, one of my students in the second grade for block 1, all she does is go around and booty dance and show off her butt throughout the day, even in the middle of class!! It is rediculous and I think that something should be done about it........so everyone we really need to make good examples of ourselves, especially in the classroom! :!:

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that children are growing up way to fast and are not as inocent as they use to be. I feel that the media has a lot to do with this. Children look at movie stars and tv shows. Everyone is selling sex on the media. Most shows consider it esential to have sexual content on their shows in order for it to be a good show. What kind of message is that giving young students?

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]