View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Robert Lake, “An Indian Father’s Plea,†
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What a profound life this young Native boy had before entering school. I apprecialted the article simply to bring out truth about the beauty of people. Every one is unique, there's unique cultures and unique teachers but to understand why someone is the way they are is a valueble gift.

It's unfortunate how the young boy expericed such unpleasant beginnings in school and how so often there is such a strong essence of how a classroom should be, how students should behave, how they should learn, where they are but ouch! It's so different every year with the different personalities and backgrounds of students. Who sets up the system, who judges their intelligence, what is the true goal of schools? It is so important to find a true meaning of why you would teach and what kind of atmosphere your classroom will have that it may be one that encourages, engages and appreciates one another for who they are and allow understanding to come in.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that teaching is tough for that very reason. But, it is also wonderful and fun for that very reason. Remembering that every year our students are different, have different needs, and have different personalities is something that we all need to come to grips with. I know that it terrifies me to think about getting a new batch of students who don't respond well to my already tried and true techniques of teaching. It means that we have to keep learning new techniques and incorporating new things into our classrooms. Exciting, but scary, huh?

Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]