View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Labeled the "Brute" at 2 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The article The Mythical African American Male, by Martha R. Bireda, Ph.D., reinforced a distressing realization I have been dealing with. I work in a program that serves families from very diverse backgrounds. Over the past several weeks I have witnessed the injustice referred to in the article occur in a toddler classroom, to a child not even 3 years old!
I first heard about this child in a staff meeting. From the negative information that was discussed I immediately became interested. My first encounter was puzzling; I did not see the image that had been presented. I saw a child full of energy, curious and inquisitive about exploring and experimenting in his world. O. possessed well developed motor abilities, and more receptive and expressive language skills than most of his peers. In addition, I saw a toddler that was caring and compassionate toward peers and caregivers. Of course I also witnessed typical challenging toddler behaviors however; those same behaviors were displayed by every toddler in the room sometime throughout the day. By the end of the first day I was silently questioning what the caregivers saw about this child that was so different from the others in the class? The thought, “is it because he is black?â€

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What you have already done, has made a difference, you acknowledged the injustices taking place, a step most people do not take. Pat yourself on the back.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

FOR anyone who's reading this, that was my post up there! I completely forgot to Log in! Justin B!

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:20 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thanks for your input. I assume the other teacher feels I am showing favoritism because I am always defending his behavior by challenging her with something positive when she speaks of him negatively.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]