View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Teaching Native List. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Was anyone else seriously ticked off by the list of things to do and not to do for native american children? I mean some of the stuff made good points, but it seems to me that the people that wrote this were just another part of the problem. The last thing on their list was really what did it for me.

Most of all, teach children about Native Americans in a manner that you would like used to depict your culture and racial/ethnic origin.

You can't get any more ridiculous than that. I can just see this image of a supervisor talking to a teacher before he goes in to teach native americans for the first time, ending on the most wishy washy note that they can get on. All of these instructional techniques seem way to flowery to me.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not going to say I was ticked off, but fairly amused would be my word choice. As a teacher my style for teaching about a type of culture should be and hopefully will be constant. There will be no attempts to rosy up any image of any culture. My job is present historical information in an engaging way, not in a way to avoid offending anyone. Being offended by certain materials means you care, so I hope I'll offend all my students at one point or another.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the list seems obvious, if that is what you mean by ridiculous. However, it is amazing how many of those things are happening in the schools and teachers think they are doing a great job by bringing diversity into the classroom. For example, most people think because they use the term Hispanic they are being respectful of the Latin American population. Do you know how offensive that is? Very. Hispanic is a term that was created by the US Census Bureau. The correct term is Latino. I don't feel anyone is above listening to considerations of how to approach the education of an another culture.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]