View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Letter from concerned parent 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed this letter to an educator. Instead of blowing up and loosing his cool, Medicine Grizzlybear constructed a letter of education for the instructor about his child's past and culture. Grizzlybear even offered his assistance to the instructor so there would be a more accurate and culturally sensitive lesson. Many parents would just play the race card and look into hiring a lawyer, before they would offer their time and knowledge.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It shows yet more patience Native Americans have had to use throught out their history with the "white man". I liked this letter because it reminds the teacher that her job as an educator can and should be tweaked throughout her career to better her students.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:31 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I couldn't agree more with Kenneth. You nailed it when you said the teachers job should be tweaked for different students. I hope my teaching style is never the same and that I make it a point to accomodate to the different cultures and learning styles that will come into my classroom. In this particular situation, it was really brave of the parent to come out and say all of this, yet still kept such a calm manner and as a teacher I would highly respect that.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:41 pm
All-star
All-star

To me this letter gave me hope of something that I want SOOOOO much. That is parent support. Something that does not happen much. Like I have said, we can learn something from everyone. Heck, reading the letter helped me better understand Indian culture. Great read

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The elegantly written letter should be a reminder to all educators the importance of valuing family and cultures. I feel all parents want to be involved in their children’s education. However, sometimes as educators we make it hard by not recognizing or valuing the strengths within a family. As teachers we should always look at the assets of a student and a family not the deficits.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]