View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mental Barrier vs. Physical Barrier 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In Class, we talked about the issue of segregation, bussing, and discrimination. The issue of mental barriers and physical barriers came up as well. I started thinking about my experiences in school, and it seems as hard as we try to remove physical barriers and bring all groups together, there will still always be mental barriers that will hold us back. In my highschool we had a diverse group of people but there were still barriers that prevented us from all being together. In the lunch room for example, you could just see the seperation by looking at the groups of people sitting at the tables. I guess my point is, there will still be barriers when we still have close minded people in our environment. As teachers we have to make it a point to have an accepting and open learning environment.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree Brandi. Unlike you, I came from a high school that had about 5 black people in it. SO, segregation was not an issue at my schoo. So, coming to ASU in the fall of my freshman year, it was odd to me to segregation in even OUR cafeterias. I guess, because I had not been accustomed to segregation, I was left wondering, why do they all sit together? In my high school, I was friends with everyone, not matter the race. When I got here, I was thinking, why can't we all eat together and not worry about sitting with people like us. But, now I understand why this is. I agree with you Brandi, it is our jobs as teachers to have an accepting and open learning environment!

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:44 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I too agree with Brandi. There will always be groups of people, that doesn't mean one group is better or that one group treats another differently, it just means we are all different, and we tend to group with people who are similar. I think it's important we all get along, however I do not feel we should force people together if they don't want to be together. Just like groups of friends, when your with your friends you are comfortable, safe, but when placed with a group of people you don't know, or have nothing in common with it's harder to feel the same. Granted we are all human and we have that in common, in today's society there are so many things pulling at us all to do, it's hard to get to know everyone, so you tend to group.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]