View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What about the Boys? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I felt that the article by Michael Kimmel was good because it brought out the issue of which classes boys and girls vewed differently. For example, I know when I had to take a class I would have much rather have taken a math or science course than any english or foreign language course. When it comes to a class I like having rules and set answers as the article stated most boys do. So I wonder even though I feel as the article says most boys do, could there be a change in this though if we focused on masculinity? Just a few thought I figured I would share. :)

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I guess i should of been born a boy. I love science, math is okay. I would say in high school, however these were two of my favorite subjects. I like the idea of having a concrete answer, with a right or wrong. Granted in some cases it's okay to have an open answer, or your personal opinion. For english the things that would say i liked were the interpretations of reading a story, like Romeo and Juliet. I like to interpret things like that. Other than that I dislike having to wonder. Like for example, I took Philosphy as a sophmore, HATED it. I did okay in the class, but i felt my time was wasted. I understand then for the most part the lessons, and ideas. But for me I thought those guys who sat around and wonder all that stuff wasted their time, they could of been more preductive. Like in high school we had a class were we were suppose to prove the floor outside the door existed without opening the door. There was no window, you couldn't look under it. Things like this fustrate me, because you can't win. Your wasting time trying to prove something that can't be proven. So that's probably why i enjoyed the sciences. So for the Michael Kimmel article i suppose i would be an exception to the gender classification in schools. :D

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

WHen i was in the 8th grade I took Algebra and on the night of the open house my mother got so upset at the teacher. He told the parents of the boy in front of me that he should do fine in his class and then right after that told my parents that he would be there to help me through it. Those comments were totally based on gender. I've always been good at math and ironically ended up doing better in the class than the boy who was at the open house.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]