View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Discipline problems among male/female teachers 

In general do male teachers have a tendency to have less discipline problems in the classroom?
Yes, absolutely for whatever reason males in general have less discipline problems. 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
No, males do not have any advantage over females in the discipline department. 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 14

Discipline problems among male/female teachers 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There seems to be alot of gender questions. Last class the question was briefly raised as to whether male teachers have a tendency to have less discipline problems in the classroom. Just wanted to see where everybody stood. I personally think that males as a whole have less discipline problems, however I have had plenty of male teachers who were pushovers and did not have effective control of the classroom. I think that as a whole males have less problems in the classroom for the same reasons that we have always had a male President or the majority of CEOs are male... that being that traditionally speaking males have been in leadership positions that command respect.

i.e. - I am not saying that females don't deserve or get respect... I'm not trying to make that twist with this post.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I voted that males do not have any advantage over females in the discipline department. I think that discipline comes down to the personality of the teacher, not the sex of the teacher. I had several male teachers in middle and high school, and some of them had a lot more trouble with discipline issues than some of my female teachers. I think that any female teacher has the ability to have as much, if not more control of her classroom than any male teacher; it just depends on her personality. I don't think a teacher's approach to classroom management, or the way students behave in his/her class is related to the teacher's gender, but is related to that teacher's disposition or temperament.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I voted that men do not have less discipline problems than females. I am a youth and children minister. The previous person who had the job was a male. All of the parents comment on how much more control I have over the kids. The youth also comment that everything flows more smoothly now than with thier previous youth minister. I feel that the kids do not look at me as a female they know I mean bussiness and I never have any discipline problems.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I voted that men do not. I feel that any teacher can have discipline problems. If the teacher has a good system in their classroom with not that much transition time they will not have many problems with dicipline.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Based on my experience, I have seen that men have less behavior management and discipline problems. I have witnessed this first hand at at a job I had for the past 2 summers. I worked at a private school that had a summer program going on. The teachers consisted of myself, 3 other females, and one male. It was very clear that we (the females) could sit there and ask the children to be quiet and listen and say it several times. If the male would stand up and say it once, they would listen much quicker and their eyes would go straight on him. I'm not sure if this is because of his deeper voice that may have seemed more authoritative or what. I have also noticed in my elementary school and middle school experiences that when we had male teachers, there was some sort of intimidation level that was present that forced us to behave better. --hate to admit that--

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don’t think it matters if you are male or female. I think what matters is whether or not you are a good teacher. A teacher with few behavior issues is sensitive to the individual needs of students and engages students in meaningful experiences relevant to the context of their lives. Those teachers also treat students with respect, provide them with opportunities to problem solve issues and give them choices.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I voted no, I really believe it depends on the teacher, so teachers have a more authoritative presence whiles other do not, reguardless of gender.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Good point, I know that I had female teachers growing up (and presently) that demanded the upmost respect and got it. I think your respect level depends on the type of person you are. And I think that shows the first time you meet your students and establish the atmosphere in your classroom.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:24 am
All-star
All-star

I voted that males do have more control with discipline problems because as a child I did not have many male teachers. When I did have a male teacher I was a better student because I was almost scared of him. I think I was better for males just because I seen them as more authoritative than females. I do think it depends on the teacher as well.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:22 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I voted no. I agree with some of the other posts that a lot of how students respond to teachers has to do with respect and what the teacher expects from his/her students. I've had male teachers that had no control of the classroom, and female teachers that were in the same position. I think if a teacher presents themself as an authority figure and sets high expectations for students from the begining, then students will respect the teacher and strive to meet their expectations.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think males definitely have an advantage over females when it comes to classroom discipline. I think that students are less likely to try and "run over" a teacher it he/she is male. Males are just plain grumpier than females are, and this makes it less likely that students will "incure the wrath" of a male teacher. I think that this is taken to far in our society though. This gets back to the standard issue over female assertiveness. If a female teacher is to assertive and ready to crack down on students she is classified as a bitch. If a male does the same however, students are more likely to gossip about how scary he is and how nobody should mess with him in his class. Pretty silly huh?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I voted NO! I think that women and male with the right makeup of behavior management strategies could be equally effective.. For Example, Dr. Monica Lambert in Special education dept, I have had for several classes and the last one was a masters course in behavior management and believe me, she knows how to hold her poise for all students and I think she is much more effective because she knows how, not because she is male or female.. Thanks for listening

Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:58 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I think that males have more control over their classrooms then females. But take that word “controlâ€

Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:03 pm
All-star
All-star

Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:34 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I voted that men do not have an advantage. I think that no matter what every teacher has some discipline problems at any time whether it be a male or female. Some teachers have more than others. But it basically comes down to classroom management and setting the tone early in the year and sticking to it. If you let the students run all over you from the beginning then you will have a hard time gaining control later in the year.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:31 am
All-star
All-star

I am not going to vote on this one, because I think that it is an unfair question. First, there are very few men who are teachers. This automatically makes them a novelty to students or something that they don't know or understand how to handle. Most students are going to size up a teacher before acting up or not doing what they are supposed to be doing. Since they are used to women, they already know from past experience that a woman teacher is USUALLY going to act in a certain way. Since they don't have such experience with a male teacher, they don't know what he might do, therefore they are a little more cautious about acting up. Also, if the dad is the disciplinarian at home, then they will be less likely to act up, because they are used to listening to dad. I think that without this dynamic, the odds would be more even. :wink:

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]