View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Men or Women? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just wondering as a whole, who thinks that men will truely get more respect in the classroom than women? Do you think that any factors lead to this conclusion? Is there anything that we as "future teachers" can do to change this? I was just wondering what you all thought because I think that if you work hard at it, not matter who you are, you will be respected.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Discipline to me is something different then control. I think that the different genders have the same discipline problems it is just that males have more control because we are bigger and generally more intimidating.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have known some male teachers to have less control over their classroom than some of the female teachers that I have had. So, I think it can really go either way. I mean, do we really see me as being this stern and controlling teacher? I didn't think so. I mean, to have control, to me, means just to have a general hand on your class. You are able to settle them down when they need to be, without being labeled as the "mean teacher." Really, though, I don't see it as a difference. As far as respect goes, you have to earn that I believe from your students, male or female.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:23 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that male elementary teaches will have more control over their students with less effort, as to say a female. But once these children start to age, I feel gender is out the window. Control, discipline, or whatever you want to call it comes with respect. If I can show students that I do care about them, and I do care that they learn, and I can relate class to life; a controlled and pleasant environment will evolve, I hope.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that obtaining respect from students and control of the classroom are related, but really are different topics. A teacher can have effective control of the classroom without being respected. For example, they can run their classroom with a dictator style. The class will be quiet and well behaved but will most likely not respect the teacher. In order to get respect you must first give it. As to whether a male teacher gets more respect and has more control over a female is totally up to the individual and their personalities. I will say that as whole males have the tendency to have less behavior problems because of the traditional disciplinarian roles males have always held. I am certainly not saying that females lack the ability to be strong discipline figures. I know I have had plenty of female teachers who I would have never done anything to piss them off... both because of respect and effective control of their classroom.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:37 pm
All-star
All-star

Okay, I think that children are taught from a young age to have more respect for male authority than female authority. Therefore, I don't think that it necassarily has anything to do with the sex organs of the teacher, but the expectation of the students. I firmly believe that both men and women can demand the same amount of respect from their students.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]