View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 What would you do if..... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sorry, that was my post. I guess I forgot to log in.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow Sharon, that is an awesome post. I completely agree with you. I think that the first step of "behavior management" is setting up the classroom (physical environment, schedule, rules, etc.) to prevent behavior issues.(I know you didn't say that, but it's along the same lines). I liked how you used the word guidance. I think that the teacher's role is to guide children through the learning process, not just to feed them information and rules. Like you said, guiding children through learning will instill in them a sense of independence and a strong self concept, which provide for life-long learning. Great post!

Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree with you Sharon that as educators we are to guide our students. I know that when I am dealing with behavioral issues I want to talk with my students, and help them realize why they did the behavior and help them come up with positive solutions. I think that it is important that we help children discover who they are and give them tools to problem solve. I for one, probably won't use punishment as a first response for managing behavior. I would rather use behavioral issues as a way of helping the child learn about who they are, and work on changing behaviors from within. I think that supporting the child, talking with them, and giving them time to gain control of emotions are positive ways of dealing with behavior.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Great post Sharon and Leanna. I know that in my classroom I do not want punishment to be my first reaction to behavioral problems. Sometimes children do not know that an action is unacceptable or offensive to others because it is what they have grown up with. So, why would I punish someone if they did not know that they were doing something wrong? Additionally I want my students to learn from their actions, I don't believe sending them to the Prinicipal's office accomplishes this. I too want to guide my students so that they can better understand themselves, how to control themselves, and how to interact with others.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:27 pm
All-star
All-star

Well this is a post that I think I might visit from time to time. I really enjoyed what you had to say. I am not really one for babying children, and I think that most teachers that believe in assertive discipline would believe this tactic to be true. I to really liked the word guidance. Unless a child is being violent, I will always ask questions. Using your word "guidance" how else can we guide someone if we do not really know what is going on?

Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]