View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 How do you feel about the SAT? 

How do you feel about the SAT (and other standardized tests for that matter)?
I think the SAT is an accurate measure of what we know and am glad it is used. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
I think the SAT is not an accurate measure, and should not be used. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
I think the SAT is not an accurate measrue, but there does need to be some standard way of assessing all students. 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 7

How do you feel about the SAT? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just wondering where everyone stood on this, and wanted to try out this poll thing. If none of the options fit your opinion, please post what it is. I think that the SAT, and most standardized tests are not accurate measures of what we know, but we do need some method of assessing all students. Until someone comes up with a better way, I think the SAT and other current standardized tests will have to suffice.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't agree with any of the answers. The SAT is an unfair way to test intelligence. I think we should not have a STANDARD way of testing studnets becaue all students or different. What is standard for one person may be way off for another. I feel that my SAT score does not refelct my performance ability in school neither did my GRE score.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post SAT
I think the SAT is a pathetic example of how to assess a students abilities. The darn thing isn't hardly even a knowledge based test. Most of the thing is being able to figure out all or the tricks they hide in it. I'm glad that many colleges are working on developing other ways to assess students and are starting to care less about a test that does a major disservice to our country.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I choose that I don't think it is accurate but there has to be some way to standarize. I feel that people come from all differnt schools. Some students may go to harder schools then others for high school. I feel that is what the SAT should be doing is seeing what the students have learned. Since there isn't one standard schooling system.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah Sarahanne, thats how I feel. After class on Wednesday, I realized that I hadn't really understood the difference between aptitude tests and achievement tests. I guess my poll question was a little confusing since I mentioned the SAT, but I was really asking about achievement tests. But speaking on achievement tests, there has to be some standard form of assesment simply because there are so many schools in the state. If we didn't have them, how would we know what is being taught, or if how we are teaching is effective? I agree that students learn differently, but that's not a reason not to have some standard measure of what a student has learned.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Nita, we cannot standardize our students, everyone is different and if the SAT was a fit for each perfect it would not have to be standardized. Intelligence is a relative thing anyway, since humans came up with the concept. One of my proffesors puts IQ scores into perspective, she says that just because a students score is 0 does not mean that this student is somehow deficient, but rather society is because we have not yet learned how to communicate with this person. Just remember just because someone cannot communicate like you and I does not mean that they have nothing to say.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I voted that the SAT is not accurate but that we need some form of standardization. I definitley think the SAT is not the answer, but I feel there needs to be some sort of benchmark to place our goals upon. However, the results should not be used as they are now (college acceptance). The aspect of standardized tests that I disagree with mostly is the pressure it creates. If you can't make a certain score on a test, then you aren't admitted to certain colleges. Which in turn affects the career and job opportunities you have later in life.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think there should be such an emphasis on the SAT. Many students are not very good test takers, while others are extremely will at taking test. So the SAT may show that a very good student has not learned all the knowledge they will need and another student that is average may score high showing that they are the better student when that is not the case. I do feel there needs to be a standardized way to assess students knowledge, but I don't feel that the SAT is the best way to do that. :)

Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]