View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 The Traditional Thanksgiving Story!! 
All-star
All-star

In class we where discussing when and how to teach the true story of Thanksgiving. When I was in elementary school I was taught the traditional story that the Indians and the Pilgrims were friends. I never knew the true story until high school (I think). I personally feel that did not do me any harm. I feel we should not tell elementary students the gruesome stories until they are older. I think we should let kids be kids. My 7 year old cousin came to spend the night at my house and he was talking about an Indian named Squanto( unsure about the spelling). He told me how Squanto helped the Pilgrims to grow food and survive. I asked him if he knew that the Indians and the Pilgrims were not really friends and did not have a big dinner together. The look on his face was so sad. He was very shocked to find that out. I also told him the Indians did not like the Pilgrims because they were mean to them.

I don’t feel that we should tell students the truth about our history until they are older, like most of us were probably taught. Kids are growing up to fast. It is important that they enjoy their childhood without worrying about the real story behind Thanksgiving.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:17 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I couldn't agree more, Jenna. I would dare to say that the majority of the general population (including in this class) were taught the traditional Thanksgiving story inwhich the pilgrims and indians were friends. I don't feel as though it has harmed me in any way to have been taught that version at any early age.
People are always arguing that kids grow up to fast these days. I think topics such as these correlate directly with the problem. Let kids be kids and let them enjoy Thanksgiving perhaps for the reasons we all wish the real pilgrim/indian interaction would have been like instead.

Speaking of which... hope ya'll have a good Thanksgiving!

Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]