View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 which is worse indiffernce or ignorance? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Last Thursday in class we had a discussion about the Church that posts the upsetting sermon topics. As we were discussing our reactions it seemed that most people reacted the same way. Most people said they drove by, were upset, and called the church ignorant for their posts. Here is my question, maybe the churches ignorance is not the problem, maybe it is our indifference. Elie Wiesel, the Holocaust survivor and author of "Night" says "The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference." Why had most people in our class frown upon the churches ignorance but done nothing to cure the ignorance? Why had none of us gone to the sermon, preacher, or done something besides just driving by? If this really frustrates us why are we not doing anything? Elie Wiesel also says, "What happens anywhere effects us everywhere." Here is a link to The Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity that strives to combat indiffernce: http://www.eliewieselfoundation.org/

Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:38 pm
All-star
All-star

In my life I try hard not to talk about two things. Politics and Religion.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I did not see that particular post that we discussed in class, but I have seen some that are equally entertaining. This one was good, "Evolutuion was a bad acid trip!" Anyway, I feel that would never approach a preacher about his sermons, my beliefs are most surely different than his. This church has the right to believe this way, and many others throughout the world probably would agree. But we can not address this so called ignorance because that would involve educating this church in the area of Islam. I feel there would not be m,any volunteers at the church to come and study Islam, but it sure would be great.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that I would have a tough time going up to a preacher or anyone that put up a sign like that, not because I wouldn't be interested in helping them to see their mistake, but because I think that it would take up too much of MY time. I would prefer to be doing other things than sitting around with an antagonistic (or merely frustrated) person who didn't want to have anything to do with me and trying to explain where I think they may have gone wrong. I think that this is why people SEEM indifferent a lot of the time. It is not because of actual indifference, it is because people believe that they have to pick their battles. Or it is because of fear. I think that fear is the worst thing that has ever happened to human beings.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]