View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Parents or Children 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

During our discussion on Wednesday about how to teach Thanksgiving many of us raised concerns about upsetting parents. I know that parents play a large role in the educational process, but are we not here to teach children? I realize that we have to pick our battles and how we teach Thanksgiving may not be a battle we chose, but if we become focused on parents then we forget our students. If we let our fear of upsetting parents interfere with our teaching of Thanksgiving where does this influence stop, will we start teaching to please parents? Just a thought!

Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you sara, I also think that it is important to pick your battles and that if we do worry about the parents all of the time, then the students will miss out on information that could teach a life lesson or could be very interesting and useful. I have had this happen with one of my students in my classroom now. She does not celebrate any holidays and her parents do not want her participating in anything that has to do with them. I like the way my teacher handled it because she asked the student whether or not she would like to participate or leave the room. She did not have to do exactly what the other students were doing but at least she was doing something creative!! I just think it is important to allow the child's perspective in and thoughts because we are teaching the child, not their parents.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that dealing with parents is going to be one of the hardest things that we have to do as teachers. I wish that we could leave them out of everything, but as a potential parent, I want to have a say in what my child is learning. This is especially true when it comes to morality.

I think that the first Thanksgiving is a moral issue. We try to make it look like we did all this wonderful stuff and everyone loved us (meaning white European settlers), but that is not the truth. And if anything should be important it is the truth.

I realize that we have to break students in gently, but I think that parents need to know that we are trying to make sure that students get a realistic understanding of what has happened in our society while we maintain a sense of patroitism in our students. Now, maybe not everyone agrees with this, but it is my belief that we need to do this to support a realistic view of history and people.

Parents are important, and we need to help them to understand that we can all be on the same side. :?

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]