View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Puritan purity 
All-star
All-star

Greetings,
One must begin to question just how pure were the Puritans. The Halfway Covenant? Considering what we have recently studied about seventeenth and eighteenth century Puritan's in New England, one does begin to wonder.
Bendy

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:37 pm
All-star
All-star

The more things change, the more they stay the same. So in The Big Test, who do we see calling all the shots??? Protestant White Men. I hate to generalize. But here I go... I've almost finished the reading and what have we heard about women? None mentioned...except the Good Wives of Henry Chauncey. I like the fact that Elizabeth Chauncey finally left him, but Henry lost no time in finding the faithful consort, deputy husband and able housekeeper (aka host) in second wife Laurie. Wow!

And get this. I was researching my primary source yesterday and ran across the Reverend Isaac Chauncy, who delivered the sermon at John Williams' funeral in Deerfield Mass in 1729. Any relation to Henry? I'd bet money on it!!

Testing is as elitist as it gets.

Elites write it.
They deploy it.
They interpret.
And they score it.

I deplore it!!

(Sorry - a feeble attempt at working-class poetry)

Cindy

"Read it and weep!"

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:14 pm
All-star
All-star

Cindy, Along that same thought, I find it very interesting that teaching is considered a "pink collar" (or woman dominated) field, but we have relatively few women in positions of power. Our president and many state governers who push testing are male. I'm not saying a woman in these positions would be any different, but at least we would be represented higher up on the chain of command!

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I couldn't agree with you more!

"Read it and weep!"

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]