View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Inadequaties-A Hope in the Unseen 
All-star
All-star

I think it is both sad and good that Cedric realized that he was somehow "lacking" in his education. I think it is good because once Cedric realized this he could find help and somehow try to overcome the gaps in his knowledge. I also don't think this is typical though. Most people don't realize they have a gap in knowledge. This is probably where a lot of people either think they are just "dumb" and/or drop out of school. Again, I think it is Cedric's resiliency that allows him to see this and overcome his deficits-which by the way are no fault of his own.

ALL STUDENTS DESERVE THE CREAM!

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:42 am
All-star
All-star

I've been impressed with Cedric's determination thus far. (I'm almost half way through the book.) So many people throw in the towel and give up. I must say, I don't know how well I could have done in his situation.

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:46 am
All-star
All-star

Cedric's awareness amazes me too. Not only does he realize he has gaps, but he also realizes he's not getting the kind of education other kids are receiving at better equipped, better staffed schools. The relentless worksheets handed out in place of stimulating and challenging learning activities and projects. The drill and kill SAT preparation on the computer. The two years at Jefferson Junior High - the magnet school - must have exposed him to an entirely different approach to teaching and learning. It was heartbreaking to read about his dismissal from the school and return to subpar learning environments (p. 40). I couldn't believe the magnet school didn't provide the counseling or some other form of intervention to Cedric to redirect him. Again, education does not happen in a vacuum. We all know how our kids's family lives and economic situations impact their attitudes and emotional health when they get to school. That Cedric does not let himself fall after this blow is a testimony to his strength of character.

Cindy

"Read it and weep!"

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:01 pm
All-star
All-star

Inadequate is just the word I would use to describe Mr. Fleming, the eighth grade teacher Cedric observed in through his fieldwork. Cedric's commit, "How can he tell? They're just kids! He's writing them off before they even get a chance," really gets my blood boiling. People with attitudes such as this should not be teachers. I love teaching sixth grade. The paint's still wet. I hope I never reach the point that I feel the way Mr. Fleming did; but if I do, I hope I have the good sense to get out of teaching before I destroy someone's life.

Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]