View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The American Dream at Groton 
All-star
All-star

Ladies, I've been thinking about this video since our last class. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is how self-centered the vast majority of the students are. The teachers attempt to show their students the value of helping others, but when students are interviewed they place no value on helping those less fortunate than themselves. As a matter of fact, I honestly don't think the majority of these students realize what conditions some children (like the ones in our own county) live in. It seems to me that if the teachers of these children really want to help them develop a social conscious, they need to get these kids involved with a soup kitchen, Habitat for Humanity, or a poverty seminar.
It makes me sick to think that people in our area (who obviously have much less than the children in the video) are so willing to give to hurricane victims, cancer patients, and so on when there are people who are "better off" that are so self-centered.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:37 pm
All-star
All-star

So much of what people do and think comes from their perspective on life. I think that from the viewpoint of each person, they believe that what they are doing is right. It is hard to look at life from the outside, to see our faults, and find areas for improvement. Once we do find these areas, the hardest part is the change.
When we do not know where others come from, we do not realize what we are doing or not doing to them.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Cindy

"Read it and weep!"

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:43 pm
All-star
All-star

Julie, I hadn't thought about it that way. I guess if you grew up in a household or in a community that didn't stress helping others, or giving back to your community as much as our community does, you would have a different perspective. Also, teachers preaching the praises of community service probably doesn't help the situation. I can honestly say lectures like that have never made me want to do anything!

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]