View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Code Switching 
All-star
All-star

Ladies, I spent Saturday interviewing regional finalists for the Teaching Fellows program. This gave me a very interesting opportunity to "people watch". While the majority of the students I interviewed used correct English and grammar in the interview, while walking past the "waiting room", I was shocked! Teenagers have a language all their own. I know this probably shouldn't surprise me, afterall we discussed different cultural groups and code switching. It was just very interesting to me listen to a language within our own culture. I have a 15 year old sister, and after what I heard on Saturday, I know she must be code switching at home!!

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:51 pm
All-star
All-star

8) I got to discuss code-switching with Tanner and his dad. Tanner slipped and said ain't the other night and said, "I know mom, I'm not suppose to say that." He was surprised when I replied, "Oh, you are just code-switching!" Then all three of us went on to have a conversation about it and how we all talk differently depending on our audience. Even within my own family, I talk differently with my grandparents than with my mom and sister. It also got me to thinking about the great times I have getting together with a cousin (also my best friend growing up) and how we would love to get out on the open road and drive, sing and talk using a few little explicitives! (HA) When she and I still get together we fall back into the same pattern we established for ourselves back in high school. I had never really thought about code-switching and how this is normal until class last Thursday and our discussion after.

ALL STUDENTS DESERVE THE CREAM!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]