View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Ashe County's Minimum Wage Parents 
All-star
All-star

Ladies,

One of the biggest challenges I find is involving parents in their children's education. Most hispanic families are very supportive. But almost all of them work and work hard, take care of their kids and themselves as best they can, and then try to find time to help them with homework. This last is especially difficult for parents who speak/read little to no English. Throw on top of that the effect a minimum wage job has on their psychological, physical and emotional health, and I wonder how they can help at all. But they do. Reading Nickel and Dimed reminded me how tough it must be for these parents - especially single moms. What is your experience with families in Ashe County? I know there must be plenty of parents who do not have stable work or steady incomes.

Cindy

"Read it and weep!"

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I have had a lot of help from my hispanic parents with their child's education. They do seem very much concerned and want to do things to help the teachers and the school-even if it is just sending supplies. When a caucasian child in my room house burned last month, the hispanic moms all took up over 60 dollars! They have also planned a baby shower gift for the boys mom who is expecting triplets. Did this family get anything from any of my other parents...NO!!! and I sent the same letter out to everyone (in English) and my hispanic parents were the only ones who responded. This shows the Hispanic culture and their very strong sense of family and a responsibility to those in need, even if they don't have much themselves. Over and over I have received a blessing from my hispanic families from the way they live and give to others.

ALL STUDENTS DESERVE THE CREAM!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I have a hispanic family in my room that also have minimum wage jobs. However, they are the first ones to offer help or to bring in items that I may need for the classroom. They also buy books from the book order for their daughter. It is nice to see that they have their priorities straight and are taking the little money they have and putting it to good for their daughter. I also have very affluent families in my room, and I do not see the same kind of support. How interesting!!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]