View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Ishamel 
All-star
All-star

Folks,
I was surprised that I could get so into a book with a talking gorilla. I find Ishamel's view point interesting. I have often wondered what the animals in the zoo are thinking when people (including myself) are watching them.
Bendy

Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I never expected to learn so much from a gorilla. Point of view is everything. I love the format. I'm questioning and answering and postulating right along with the narrarator.

Ishmael's (Quinn's) use of metaphor is fantastic! I love the one on the laws of aerodynamics and how they relate to the Takers' inevitable crash because we (I count me and everyone else a Taker -sorry!) are violating another law - that of the limits of competition in the community of life (chapters 6 -8). I can so clearly see that human captain pedaling and flapping frantically on Doomed Civilization Flight # (yikes - I hesitate to even put a year). The image would be humorous if it weren't so tragic!

I find though that I'm constantly questioning Ishmael's logic and trying to poke holes in his reasoning. What are his assumptions? Are they true? I guess I don't like his prognosis and am looking for a way out that doesn't involve a drastic change in lifestyle.

Is the law of competition in the community of life valid? Are we subject to the law? Can we invent our way out of this scenario?

:shock: Cindy, scratching her head.

"Read it and weep!"

Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:37 pm
All-star
All-star

Cindy and Bendy, I thought this was an excellent book. I think that using a gorilla as the teacher was absolutely perfect. Of all the animals in the world, I think humans probably admire and fear this animal the most because they are so much like us. When you observe gorillas in a zoo, it's like a mirror of our society. You have dominant gorillas who run the show, and others who just go about their business. I thought that was an interesting touch.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:50 pm
All-star
All-star

Ladies, I am sorry to be the black and white viewpoint of the bunch. I did not get into the book very deeply. I am the type of person who has a hard time "reading between the lines". You all know how I question everything in the history class if it is not "right there." However, the video that we watched involving Cain and Abel prompted me to think about this issue even further. It is important to be open minded to other peoples beliefs, as it may make you strengthen your own. :)

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:47 pm
All-star
All-star

The video made me think as well Penny. It is very interesting how what you have been taught through the years about religion, society, etc sticks with you as "your belief". It is very neat to listen to other people and thier points of veiw including Ishmael and the people in the video. Like Julie however, I really feel that listening and learning other people's perspectives helps me to identify my own and only become stronger in my own.

Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]