View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Shrinking Diversity in Ishmael and in school 
All-star
All-star

Ladies,

One of the dangers of "how things came to be this way" is that the way we are living is impacting species diversity. Food production is based on monocultures and genetic engineering. Elimination of habitat means species extinction. All of this points to a fragile web of life that is vulnerable to environmental disasters. Communities of life depend on diversity to rebound from ecological setbacks. With less diversity, we have reduced our chances to live forever - conditions permitting.

I see NCLB and end-of-grade testing enacting the same scenario. We want one kind of student. We want one kind of answer. And we want one kind of performance. The way we go about testing leaves no diversity of expression or thought. And because many teachers teach test-taking skills, other forms of expressing what we have learned and students' other talents are not developed. It's the factory model of schooling and it's scarey because with less diversity of thought and expression comes less questioning, less inventiveness and less creativity - all necessary qualities in sustaining the community of life. What our education model does promote is more competition! And we see where that is leading us - if we buy into Ishmael's line of reasoning. If we continue, I fear that we will not be educating students to question the way things came to be and to work together to find solutions. The same goes for us. We ourselves will not question what is quickly becoming the accepted status quo in education.

How do you all feel about this issue? Do you feel powerless sometimes? I know I do.

Cindy

"Read it and weep!"

Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I know that I feel powerless! It is a shame that our school system has turned out this way. School systems should understand better than anyone that children are different and should be treated differently.

Ishmael was unlike any book that I have ever read. It has viewpoints that are very different than any I have ever heard. The whole book really made me think about our culture and our world. What did you all think about Ishmael's view?

Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I do feel like I am in a neverending battle in the school system and that things won't change for education (not at least in my lifetime). However, I keep the hope that I can make a difference in my own small piece of the world. If I can let just a few children know that they are valued for their intelligence beyond school knowledge, then I have succeeded.
I feel like this job is what I was meant to do. Since I am here in this position, I must give it my all and try to make a small difference in the lives of children. We need to teach children to think critically and question the world around them. We can empower them through knowledge.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I also feel powerless in the education world. During this time of year, I often get a feeling of helplessness as the EOG's roll around. I have to step back (and look at it in another perspective) and remember WHY I teach. I am here for the kids- not the glory-the money, or the administration. Penny

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:18 am
All-star
All-star

This book makes me evaluate my place and role in the world. When I feel overwhelmed (as I do alot!) and unsure of my role, I have to remember that if I don't try, then I KNOW that things won't get any better.

This book made me look at the whole picture more, and maybe if we did that with our jobs too we could see the small things that need to change so that larger things can come later.

We cannot become discouraged or the fight is over before it begins. We need to do what we know is right and maybe that will make an impact to others. I can't speak or act for anyone else - but I can control what I say and do.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel as powerless as you all do, but I can't help thinking about how powerless our students feel. We try to teach creatively all year long, and make learning hands-on, exciting, and fun. Then in May, we undo all the good we've done in the rest of year by giving one test that the students (and let's face it, many teachers) feel is life and death. The only answer I can think of is explaining to the students that no matter what the scores are, and no matter what happens, this is only a test! It is not the end of the World if you don't make a three or a four.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]