View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Poisonwood humor??? 
All-star
All-star

Ladies, I have been reading Poisonwood, and am finding humor. Then, the more I think about the humorous parts, I am reading between the lines and finding irony. This is a very complex book. So far, I like the fiesty Leah the best.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:51 pm
All-star
All-star

Penny, Leah is definitely my favorite too. I'm almost done with the book, and it has been interesting to watch Leah go from a "Daddy's girl" to seeing her father for what he really is.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I am slowly reading the book a little at a time. I am getting there!! I am definitely finding humor in this book. I can sometimes relate with so many preachers in my family. I also have a first cousin who is a missionary in Africa. I keep thinking about them as I read this book.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:56 pm
All-star
All-star

Isn't it interesting who we identify with - me...I'm Leah and Adah wrapped up together I think. But they are all humorous and ironic. And everytime I see Rachel's name I know I'm in for a good laugh. Comic relief.

Cindy

"Read it and weep!"

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I think Ruth Mae and Rachel are often the comic relief and the voice of humanity in this book. Haven't we all been there at times?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:06 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Leah and Adah remind me of the poem "Simile: Willow and the Ginkgo" by Eve Merriam. The following is the first stanza:
"The willow is like an etching,
Fine-lined against the sky.
The ginkgo is like a crude sketch,
Hardly worthy to be signed."

As the poem continues the willow is compared to the "king's favorite daughter" while the ginkgo is compared to a "city child growing up in the streets" who somehow "survives and even thrives."

The last stanza is as follows:
"My eyes feast upon the willow,
But my heart goes to the ginkgo
."

I admired Leah; however I can really appreciate the daily struggles that Adah faced. I respect Leah, but my heart seems to follow Adah.
I have worked with so many children that I feel are trapped inside their bodies and the misfiring of something in their brains. They were plenty intelligent; they just couldn't get it to come out in ways that were measured or understood by society/school. They are so often under challenged and so trapped. Somehow some of them manage to survive, and in a few instances, thrive.
Bendy

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:26 pm
All-star
All-star

How beautiful. The fact that you keep returning to Ada says so much about you as an educator and more about the wonderful person you are. Your students are so lucky to have you!

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]