View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Student career paths 
All-star
All-star

Ladies, I have thought a lot about what Teresa said regarding her son Tanner and him being pressured into having a career path already in the eighth grade! I guess it hits home well with me because my oldest son will be going into the 5th grade next year with middle school close behind. It is very rare that a student at this age knows what he or she wants to do with his life. Why are they pressured into making these decisions? I believe in taking risks and not following the crowd, but does that mean taking life skills classes that do not count towards college prep, and getting behind on the road to college? I would personally hope that my own children could change a tire, etc. on their vehicle if they had to! Now those skills are essential! Penny

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I wasn't at class Thursday, but I have read the discussion board to try and get a little caught up on some of the discussions.

I am feeling much better than Thursday. I am scheduled for surgery on Monday, April 10. I can't wait to get all of this behind me!! You girls have been great at keeping me caught up on everything.

I was pressured in early middle school in deciding what career I wanted to pursue. We even took a test to decide what job best fit our personalities in the seventh grade, I think. I guess that could be good in a way, but it also turned me away from things that I thought my personality wasn't fit for. I didn't get to take many electives because I was so busy preparing for college in advanced classes. I really would like to know how to change a tire!!

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I emailed the guidance counselors at the middle school and they were more open than I had thought about students taking a variety of electives, not just those that might benefit a potential "career" choice. The guidancec counselor I spoke with said colleges looked at a balanced program, as long as students met the requirements in English, Math, etc. I do feel pressured however into encouraging him to take at least two honors classes a year, in order to qualify for the NC Scholars program. I really appreciate everyone's input about this topic. The last thing I told him before he met with the guidance counselor to schedule classes was to take the electives that he seemed interested in, afterall, it is only one class per semester. I don't think that will make or break him either way. :)

ALL STUDENTS DESERVE THE CREAM!

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:54 am
All-star
All-star

I am glad to hear that the counselor is supportive. I wonder how many students don't realize that they can still take the vocational courses without getting off the path. I feel that it is so important to be well rounded, and without exposure to other things this cannot happen.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I am concerned for children. How can they choose their path so early in life? What if children aren't given the guidance they need. What about expectations...do they mean anything?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]