View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Sudbury 
All-star
All-star

Folks,
This seems too far out for most children. Maybe I have been in the testing environment too long. I feel there should be expectations and goals for which these students are trying to achieve. Many students don't have the home environment that would be necessary for nuturing this kind of mind set. However, I have three students who I think would actually do quite well there. They are often rather slack about getting things turned in on time and about being attentive in class. However, they are very creative and if they are interested in a topic they will dig deep for a better understanding and apply the information learned interesting ways. I do not see this as the best route for most children.
Have a good one!
Bendy

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:29 pm
All-star
All-star

Bendy, I even have a hard time seeing this school work for ANY child without changes being made. I totally agree on letting students take part in their learning through pursuing their interests, but this is a bit too far fetched. There has to be a middle of the road somewhere. We are on the other side of the road with rigorous EOG testing and accountability, but can we not meet somewhere in the middle? I am offended by the idea that the students can decide which teachers get fired or not. Come on, we all know that students are not held accountable for their actions because we are not allowed to discipline them anyway! :lol: Have a good weekend, Penny

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:58 pm
All-star
All-star

Penny, I agree that this sounds pretty far fetched. However there are a few children that are cut from a different cloth that I feel this might be effective for them. At the same time, it is difficult for me to image that children would choose to be in a class rather than doing whatever they strikes their fancy. I am curious as to how a teacher could prepare for instruction such as this. What time of the day would teachers begin instruction...8, 9, 10, 11, 12 o'clock? I don't think children are developmentally ready for such freedom of choice. Also, I do not feel they can realistically make a sound decision about whether a teacher is rehired. How many times have you heard someone say "I didn't like that teacher at the time, but now I realize that she/he was the one of the best teachers I ever had"?
Take care,
Bendy

Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:08 pm
All-star
All-star

My first reaction to the video was, "No Way!" However, I think that a lot of times students are a product of the environment. If you give students this type of freedom, it also may eventually teach responsiblity. I think that we enable kids to be irresponsible with the way that public schools are run these days. Maybe if we took a different route (I'm not sure this is the way, though) then the results could be different.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:22 pm
All-star
All-star

Since they said that children did eventually gain interest in reading and mathematics....I wonder if they really told the truth. I think motivation is the key. If kids don't have motivation they really wouldn't do anything. I wonder about those kids with no motivation for life. What did they do in a school like this?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]