View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Truth or truth 
All-star
All-star

I thought each person's view of truth was portrayed in the book. The character's openness to other's viewpoints showed how they viewed life. How could Nathan have been persuaded to see truth with the little t?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:29 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Julie, I think Nathan definitely had his own version of truth, but I don't know if anything could have persuaded him to see truth from someone else's perspective. I think Nathan was capable of stepping outside of himself and seeing other perspectives; however I feel that he was unwilling to. It seemed that he was only willing to see his purpose for being in the Congo. It was almost like his family held him back, when in reality they could have helped further his mission so much. I have cousins who are missionaries, and the wife conducts her own classes on the bible, home economics and many other things. While their children were still young, they reached out to native children just as Ruth May did.

Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:13 am
All-star
All-star

To be the "Devil's Advocate" , maybe Nathan couldn't see past his experiences. When Dr. Turner began talking about seeing the story from his perspective. I really couldn't see it, but I think that some experiences are so moving that they make the rest of your life dramatically different.

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]