View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 on the economy in your life 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

here is some food for thought. did you know that high school did not really exist before that Great Depression? During this period the country experienced a real employment crisis and the main reason it was decided to keep students in public school until they were 18 was to keep them out of the work force. If population keeps growing and people keep living longer then maybe they will keep us in public school until we are 25. thoughts?

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:11 pm
All-star
All-star

That's something I never knew. Would public school until age 25 mean free college? I'm all for that.... But then what about those people who want to do jos that only a tech school can train for?

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:14 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

WOW! That is a bit of information that I never knew. Thanks Daniel! I’m not really sure how I feel about extending the American education experience longer. Being in school until you are twenty-five instead of eighteen is a big jump. I personally wouldn’t want, that but I guess American’s would be much more educated, and I really like Samantha’s idea of free college.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:35 am
All-star
All-star

It's hard for any one person to decide whether "formal education" should be valued over experience. As we talked about in class, education definitely gives you the upper hand in job positions - but should it? I've been thinking a lot about this lately. This summer I worked as a secretary for a real estate company (stereotypically a job for a person who hasn't completed 4 years of college) and I significantly improved my interpersonal, time management ,and organizational skills while I return to college and continue to learn all sorts of other things. I'm beginning to admire the idea of splitting your time (getting real experience and also going to school). Don't they call that co-op? (I forget). What do you all think?

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:57 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks for sharing that info. Daniel. It wouldn't surprise me if sometime in the future the amount of time you stay in public school is changed. With our changing world, increasing amount of technology, growing population, and lack of jobs, I could see public education being reevaluated and stretched out for a longer period of time. I must admit though, I don’t think I could have survived another year of high school!

Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is definitely new information to think about. I agree that with the new advancements in technology and in education, public school will probably be extended for longer than 18 years because it will take that long for people to properly learn all the new information coming into our world. I agree with Courtney though, i wouldn't have lasted another year in high school :P

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That really is interesting Daniel, but I think I'd have to agree with a few of you on that I don't think I could personally go to school until the age of 25, unless it was my own choice. I think about all that one person can do between the age of 18 and 25, and that is a huge gap. That really is an interesting fact that you informed us on though, thanks for sharing!

Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I did not know that, but I am not in the slighest surprised. Slightly unrelated, we can already see changes in the value of education which will in turn affect extended schooling. A college degree is becoming more and more common in our culture as well as masters degrees. Because of this trend toward higher education, employers are becoming more and more selective. The pressure is on to go beyond a colllege degree and go higher and higher in a sense. Possibly there will someday be an invented level of higher education.

"That's what a class is, a swarm. And you're a warrior teacher...ready to face the swarm"
- Frank McCourt

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow, I did not know that!!! I did have some idea that students havent always went to school until they were 18, but I did not know if it was because high schools didn't really exist or if it was simply because kids were needed by their families to work. Neither my grandpa nor my grandma finished high school because they started working. This may be branching out a bit- but my grandma still thinks it is crazy that I am 21 years old, still in school -not supporting myself, and I am not married or in a relationship. Times have really changed, huh?
I have no problem believe that high school was created just to keep kids out of the workforce. I guess it is a good idea in some ways, but I have always thought it is a bit strange that we have to go to school for 13 years and THEN go to college for another four. The way things are going now graduate school is also becoming a necessity. What do you guys think about this trend? It seems that we are all going to school longer and longer. Why do you think this is?

Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

More people go on to higher education now than ever before. This is a trend for which I see no end in sight. In order to get a good job it is almost a necessity to have a college education. Soon though, it will be necessary to have a masters, who knows perhaps eventually good jobs will require a doctorate. It seems to be a never ending cycle that continues to push the required education higher and higher. I am not saying this is a bad thing, because as Americans we certainly need to be more educated. The downside though is that if we were to progress to a public education system that went beyond high school we would also have to deal with a standardized curriculum. I don't mean to sound like "that guy" who thinks the government is out to get us, but if we had a standardized curriculum at the college level I do not think the quality of education would be nearly as good.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As true as it might be that more people are going on for higher education now its also true that many students are dropping out before they even graduate high school. It is really a big issue that my mom faces at the high school where she oversees kids who are at risk of dropping out. Within the past couple of years she had noticed that each new group of freshman are less and less motivated. It has been such a challenge for her. She has found that they simply do not care about school. They don't do their homework, they are disrespectful and they show no motivation. They do not see their future and what little possibility there is for them if they do not get through the next four years of high school. How do you step in and effectively build students' motivation??? I think its awesome if people are moving on to higher education but its also important to focus on those who are being left behind without any guidance or encouragement. Where does it start?

Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Isn't this already going on. More people are going to college now than ever, and it is definitely keeping us out of the work force for a long time. I've never had a job that payed more than $7 an hour, and I've never had a "real" job. So perhaps college is the answer. It is the new high school.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]