View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Issue in Elementary Schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I went to the NCSS conference this Friday. Which gave me the opportunity to sit in on a class on the Issues in Social Studies? The class had a panel on high school and middle school teachers discussing the amount of time the elementary school put in to teaching the students social studies. I know that some of you are elementary Ed majors, and I was just wondering how do you feel about this, because as you can tell this class was set up to rip the elementary schools. How much time would you spend teacher social studies if it is not a state tested subjects?

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I would want to say that I would give social studies the equal amount of time as other important subjects. I must confess that I am saying this before I have actually been put in to an actual teaching job. I know that state testing does play a humongous part on what teachers teach but I also know that social studies is extremely important also. If children don’t understand what is going on in the world in the past and present they will be missing out on soooo much. If a child has no basic idea of geography they will probably have problems with that all through out their life. I am going to try to give social studies as much time as I possibly can because I understand its importance.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Social Studies should be given an equal amount of teaching time as any other subject, but that my mean integrative lessons.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would definitely teacher social status for the same amount of time i allot for other classes. Just because it isn't tested doesn't mean that history, geography, etc. aren't important. These gives deserve the best education we can give and they can't get that if we don't have a well rounded curriculum with the same emphasis on all the subjects.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:26 pm
All-star
All-star

As everyone else has said, I would also like to give the same amount to Social Studies as any other subject, but I cannot say that that would be the case when I start teaching. For an example to what Jennifer said about not knowing Social Studies may have problems with later, my roommate still does not know where all the states are located. This may not seem like a big deal, but I remember learning every single state and capital in the 5th grade (I may not know all the capitals now, but I know the states). It's kind of odd, because when I look back on elementary school the activites I remember most are social studies activites. Like in 4th grade, we got a sugar cookie in the shape of North Carolina, and were supposed to decorate it with different colored icing and chocolate morsels, etc for the different regions. There is a lot of flexiablitity when it comes to how you teach social studies, and I think kids remember a lot of the activites. But I cannot say that it would get equal time in the classroom. It may be assigned as homework instead. However, Science is about to be tested in the elementary schools, so it probably won't be long before Social Studies is too.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:18 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My automatic response is that I would make it a normal everyday aspect of my classroom as an elementary teacher. Social studies is very important - especially when it comes to making well-rounded, well-educated future citizens. I hated the whole issue of government, and I'm not just talking about the politics of it all when it comes to different crooked people's standpoint and all that. I'm talking about understanding how laws are formed, how relationships are formed between nations and states. The big differences in Federal, State, and Local government. The relationship of people's government compared to their surroundings and other factors. I didn't like it because of the way it was taught and that
there wasn't a lot of time spent on the topic, only what was required.
I learned a lot about our government in a dreadful college class that I
HAD to take at the community college I attended before coming here. The
class was very hard, and very enduring, but after the class was over I
did have a better understanding and now have more interest to check out
people running for government offices and I think now that I can make a
better informed decision on such things.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would hope that in my classroom I would spend as much time on Social Studies as the rest of the topics, especially since my secondary concentration is in Social Studies. I think it is very important for students to know geography, history and poilitics. These are not only important while they are in elementary school, but will follow them throughout their life into adulthoood. I wish that many other teachers would focus on this though, because this is why we still have children that think that the world is flat or have a hard time labeling the states that border their own, or can't recall important events or figures in history.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:25 am
All-star
All-star

Although I am a Middle Ed major, I was an elementary major for a little while, so I will give my input. I don't think that I would teach Social Studies as a single subject, but instead try to work it into other areas of teaching. In Elementary school you are able to use things such as Thanksgiving to your advantage and make a lesson out of it. This is not the only example, but one that I could think of quickly. In other words, I do not think there needs to be specific time dedicated to teaching Social Studies, only ways to incorperate it into the everyday lessons.

"That's what a class is, a swarm. And you're a warrior teacher...ready to face the swarm"
- Frank McCourt

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would like for social studies to be given the same amount as other subjects, but it just doesn't seem as important as other curriculum areas. I also think that as teachers we should find a way to incorporate social studies into other subjects so that they are getting everything they need from my classroom.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that regardless if it's tested at the end of the year - you should always teach Social Studies. Children aren't tested on social skills or things of that nature but we still make sure students excel in friendship. I think all subjects should have equal time in the classroom - that is what a schedule is great for - plus it gives children the well rounded lessons they need.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]