View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Discrimination 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Have any of you been in a situation where you have been discriminated against because of color, belief, or social class?

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I went to Miami Dade College for a year. I was part of one percent of the Caucasian population at that campus. There were no other students like me in my classes. I thought everything was fine, but there would be some people that would speak spanish to me because they assumed I did not know it. I did not realize this at first, but was upset by it later. Things like that happened more often than I realized, but I never thought that I was being discriminated against until it was brought to my attention.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I have been discriminated against for being a woman. I come from a small town where some guys think that the only role for women is that of a housewife. Some boys at my high school were mean to me because I had a lot of leadership positions and voiced my opinions. They called me really ugly names and told everyone that I was a "raging feminist." I sometimes felt ashamed or embarrassed for my ambitions, but I realize now that those guys were just ignorant and that I have nothing to be ashamed of. I proud to be a woman, haha!

Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:42 am
All-star
All-star

I have had similar situations as Kourtney. It was really hard for the guys that were supposed to listen to me when I was in a leadership position and they felt that a man should be in that position. It was really funny to hear people call the guys that led assertive and just great leaders, but the women that led were called bitches when they had to assert their authority.
Going along with this I have been discriminated against by my own grandfather both because I am a female and because I am Presbyterian and he is a Missionary Baptist. In fact just this summer he told me I would never be able to find a job as a female history teacher because high school history teachers are nothing but coaches and they wouldn't hire me because as woman I would not be coaching anything. It really broke my heart to hear that, but then I again I have to remember that he is a "Good Ole Boy" and still believes that a woman's place is in the kitchen.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticized
anyway" ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that everyone is discriminated against. For some reason that is just a bad part of life that we all go through.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with the fact that everyone will be discriminated against at some point in their life.
Growing up, my dad always handled anything that had to do with my car. I knew how to put gas in it and how to check the oil but that really was the extent of that. After coming to college, a lot of the car responsibilities have become mine since my dad isn't here! My car needed to be inspected a few months ago and I drove around Boone for about 2 full days trying to find someone who could inspect it. I have never been treated so poorly in my life. The men at every garage that I went to looked at me like I was an ignorant woman who had no idea what I was doing. Even though I didn't really know what I was doing, I knew that I didn't deserve to be treated like that! I ended up driving down the mountain to Winston Salem to get my car inspected!
I hope this doesn't ever happen to me again or to anyone else. I felt so stupid!

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was discriminated against in high school. I played sports through school, just to kill some time, and it was the firm belief of my head football coach that whites could not run, throw, or catch the football. So all of the whites on the football team played offensive or defensive line, their size did not matter.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

No matter who you are, it is true that in one way or another we have all been under the microscope of discrimination. But the sad part, and the part that is always hard to admit, we have all, in one way or another, discriminated against other individuals. It seems to be easier to place people in categories or stereotypes, and as a result, we stigmitize them as a representative of characteristics that may or may not be congruent with their personality. I am guilty both as an inflictor and a victim. My stories of both are things that I am ashamed of and hesitant of discussing. But, since I am going to start a thread that includes my story from the victim point of view, I will just simply state, that it has taken me years to get over my internal dislike for the "preppy" or "sorority" type females (I do not mean to offend anyone by stating that). Regardless of the fact that I have had numerous run in's with people that are a part of those affiliations, that does not mean that I should be so quick to place every person into the column. For it is not the group, it is always the individual. I think that is something that progresses discrimination, we loose sight of the individual human beings in admist of all of the hatred and labeling. The inate human tendancy to place things on heirarchy is something I fear I will never quite understand.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]